Green and Gold secures CAA weekend wins, defeats Elon, Campbell

Saturday, April 13, William and Mary women’s tennis (14-6, 6-0 CAA) defeated Elon (12-9) 5-2 at Mackesy Tennis Center in Williamsburg, Va.

Saturday’s victory came after a 4-3 loss against Delaware, the Tribe’s first Coastal Athletic Association defeat of the season.

The Green and Gold won the doubles point at the No. 3 and No. 2 spots, respectively.

Graduate student Mila Mejic and freshman Francesca Davis’s 6-3 victory against Elon freshmen Simone Bergeron and Ella Suk came in the duo’s regular season debut.

The No. 1 pair of graduate student Yu Chen and junior Emma Fernald lost 6-2 to Phoenix seniors Lizette Reding and Sibel Tanik.

William and Mary juniors Alessandra Anghel and Ine Stange secured the doubles point for the Tribe, defeating Elon sophomore Madison Cordisco and freshman Mariana Reding 6-2 at No. 2.

The Tribe went 4-2 in singles, with Mejic finishing first at No. 3 while securing her eighth singles win in a row. Mejic defeated Mariana Reding 6-1, 7-6, going 6-0 in singles CAA play.

Anghel made her second appearance of the day in a singles game against Phoenix sophomore Helen Sarikulaya, losing 7-6, 6-3 at No. 4.

At No. 6, Davis won her first singles set against Bergeron 7-5, to which Bergeron responded with a 6-2 second-set victory. Davis ultimately won the third set 6-1, putting the Tribe back in the lead.

No. 1 Yu Chen lost 7-6, 6-4 to Lizette Reding in a tightly-contested singles matchup.

The Tribe extended its 3-2 lead with two more victories at the No. 2 and No. 5 spots.

At No. 2, William and Mary junior Hedda Gurholt defeated Tanik in a three-set game. Gurholt took the first set in a narrow 7-6 victory, overcoming Tanik’s second-set 6-3 win with a 6-2 triumph in the third set.

No. 5 Stange concluded the match with a three-set win against Suk, responding to a 6-0 second-set loss with a 7-6 third-set victory to cement the Tribe’s 5-2 score.

The Tribe looked to maintain its CAA winning streak in its Senior Day contest against Campbell (11-7) Sunday, April 14. The Green and Gold emerged victorious yet again, outscoring Campbell 6-1 at Millie West Tennis Center in Williamsburg, Va.

After winning the doubles point at No. 3 and No. 1, the Green and Gold took the early lead in Sunday’s match.

Davis and Mejic defeated Campbell junior Mialy Ranaivo and senior Tamsin Hart 6-3 at No. 3, going 2-0 in the regular season.

At No. 2, Stange and Anghel lost to Camels freshman Lily Chitambar and senior Mariana Ossa 6-4. Seeded in first, Chen and Fernald’s 7-5 victory against Campbell sophomores Eeva Ristola and Lena Karlovcan secured the doubles point for the Green and Gold.

Mejic extended the Tribe’s lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-0 singles victory against Hart at No. 3.

At No. 5, Stange swept Ossa 6-2 in both sets, improving to 17-7 on the season.

Seeded at No. 6, Davis won 6-3, 6-4 against Karlovcan. Gurholt’s 6-4, 6-3 victory against Chitambar secured the Tribe’s 5-0 lead.

At No. 4, Anghel fell to Ristola 6-3, 7-5. Ristola’s victory narrowed the Tribe’s winning margin to four.

Chen took the No. 1 spot with a 6-4, 7-5 win against Ranaivo, and William and Mary concluded the match with a 6-1 victory.

Tribe women’s tennis will face Richmond (8-9) Saturday, April 20 at Westhampton Tennis Complex in Richmond, Va.

Previous articleA-dressing “going out tops”
Next articleTribe’s CAA dominance continues, beats N.C. A&T at home
Maddie (she/her) is from Chevy Chase, Maryland, where she worked on her high school newspaper for four years. She’s excited to continue writing with The Flat Hat, where she hopes to create podcasts and game recaps with the paper’s multimedia team, while also writing more long-term profile pieces about alumni, coaches, and athletes. Beyond Flat Hat, she’s involved with Griffin School Partnerships, the Economics Club, and Chi Omega.