Tribe rights ship against George Mason after slow season start

RYAN GOODMAN // THE FLAT HAT Junior forward Ivey Crain scored the Tribe’s first goal against George Mason in the 23rd minute, putting the Green and Gold in the lead.

After a solid 2023 season, William and Mary women’s soccer (1-2, 0-0 CAA) has started slower than it would have hoped in 2024.

Thursday, Aug. 15, the Tribe fell in its season opener against Radford (3-1, 0-0 Big South), losing 4-1 at Patrick D. Cupp Stadium in Radford, Va. After a scoreless first half, the Green and Gold’s defense slowly began fading just two minutes into the second. Graduate student defender Helena Willson started the scoring for the Highlanders in the 47th minute, assisted by graduate student forward June Stevens. Less than 10 minutes later, junior midfielder/forward Lilly Short added a second Radford goal, courtesy of another Stevens assist. Less than 60 seconds later, in the 57th minute, sophomore forward Eileen Albers tacked on another Highlander goal, cementing a solid 3-0 Radford lead with just over 30 minutes left to play.

Despite the substantial deficit, the Green and Gold regrouped and attempted to claw its way back into its season opener. In the 68th minute, freshman defender Peyton Costello scored the Tribe’s first goal of the season and the first of her early collegiate career, decreasing the deficit to two. 

Unfortunately, with just under eight minutes left in the match, the Highlanders struck again. Sophomore midfielder Ava Kertgate found the back of the net for her first goal of the season, increasing the Radford lead back to three. Despite its best efforts, the Green and Gold failed to close the gap and lost its season opener 4-1. 

Thursday, Aug. 22, the Green and Gold looked to bounce back and secure its first win of the season at home against Old Dominion (3-1, 0-0 SBC) at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field in Williamsburg, Va. 

However, the visiting Monarchs had a different idea.

In the fifth minute, freshman forward Brooke Edwards started the scoring for ODU, giving the visitors an early 1-0 lead. Just two minutes later, the Monarchs struck again, this time courtesy of a goal from junior midfielder Andrea Balcazar Algarin.

After falling behind 2-0 after just seven minutes of play, the Tribe offense slowly began applying pressure on the visiting team. At the conclusion of the first half, William and Mary’s six shots matched the Monarchs’ six, despite having nothing to show for it on the scoreboard.

In the second, the Tribe continued pressing forward with no success. Despite taking nine shots, the Monarchs held the Green and Gold scoreless, and after 90 minutes of play, two ODU goals within the first seven proved to be the deciding factor in the Tribe’s home opener. 

Sunday, Aug. 25, the Tribe looked to right the ship against George Mason (0-2-2, 0-0 A-10) at the George Mason Stadium in Fairfax, Va.  

Unlike the previous game, the Green and Gold took complete control of the match in the first half. In the 23rd minute, junior forward Ivey Crain scored the Tribe’s first goal of the contest, thanks to an assist from senior forward Leah Iglesias. 

In the 46th minute, Iglesias scored a goal of her own, assisted by Costello, giving William and Mary a commanding 2-0 lead fresh out of the break. The game remained scoreless for nearly 40 minutes, but in the 85th minute, junior forward Sheridan Brummett tacked on a third Green and Gold goal, giving the visiting Tribe a 3-0 lead it carried until the end of the match.

With an offense heating up and a stronger defense, William and Mary will look to even its season record when it takes on Virginia Commonwealth (0-3, 0-0 A10) Aug. 29 at Sports Backers Stadium in Richmond, Va.