Williamsburg city council candidates tackle student concerns at College forum

City council meetings are held at the Stryker Center across from the public library.

Tuesday, Oct. 15, the College of William and Mary’s Student Assembly hosted a City Council candidate forum in Commonwealth Auditorium, where candidates answered questions from a student survey.

Moderated by SA Vice President Oscar Lazo ’25 and Senate Chair Hazel Vineet ’25, the forum allowed students to hear directly from candidates ahead of the Nov. 5 election for three City Council seats.

Each candidate began with an introduction to their respective platform. Adjunct lecturer and first-time candidate Lindsay Barna emphasized her expertise in law, government and public safety. Vice Mayor Pat Dent focused on his experience in city governance and public safety. Fraser Hudgins ’84 highlighted his work in responsible development, while councilwoman Barbara Ramsay ’75 stressed the importance of infrastructure projects. Ayanna Williams ’26, the youngest candidate in the election, underscored her dedication to student advocacy.

Candidates discussed the four-person leasing rule and ways to address student housing shortages while maintaining neighborhood quality. Dent and Hudgins supported the rule that provides exceptions for four unrelated tenants in single-family homes, though Dent expressed openness to alternatives. Hudgins highlighted its benefits, including resource efficiency and walkable housing, and suggested the College provides at least 80% of student housing.

Ramsey and Williams agreed that increased demand would boost housing availability and lower prices. Williams proposed expanding beyond the rule and continuing efforts on platforms like RentRedi.

Barna echoed these concerns, advocating a focus on underdeveloped areas and student concerns about housing conditions and rental terms.

A key concern at the forum was the relationship between law enforcement and students in off-campus neighborhoods. Oscar Lazo raised a question about student worries over increased policing related to noise ordinances.

Hudgins called current law enforcement ‘aggressive’ and proposed a student liaison to City Hall to bridge the gap between students and the police. Ramsey cited statistics showing 342 police citations issued to students, with 22 resulting in formal summons, though this data was not independently verified.

Williams advocated for more community engagement programs, such as ride-alongs and cookouts, to build trust between students and the police. Barna emphasized mutual respect and dialogue, while Dent highlighted underage drinking as a key issue, questioning whether the police presence was proportional.

Moderators emphasized the importance of addressing these concerns. 

“Hosting a candidate forum on campus ensures that students can get a read on the candidates and understand their backgrounds,” Lazo said.

Parking and transportation were consistent concerns for students. Ramsay dismissed the idea of a parking issue, calling it a “perception problem,” and instead focused on improving crosswalk safety through new technology. She also highlighted the City’s collaboration with Williamsburg Area Transit Authority to increase bus routes and frequency.

Williams advocated for more walkable infrastructure, safer biking routes, and vertical parking garages. Barna reflected on the now-defunct “Green Machine” shuttle system, calling for more school-community partnerships. 

Dent cited a consulting report and praised recent improvements in public transit, while Hudgins prioritized pedestrian safety, suggesting better lighting and more visible crosswalk art.

Vineet emphasized bridging gaps between students and local leaders, noting that forums help make critical City issues more accessible. 

“Our role is to bridge the gaps and fill in things the school doesn’t already offer,” Vineet said.

Candidates also considered the preservation of the College Woods, highlighting the erosion caused by runoff from Route 199. 

Williams and Hudgins favored a collaborative approach, with Williams suggesting improved walking infrastructure to increase safety and reduce carbon emissions. Hudgins listed student and resident concerns regarding the loss of green space. 

“We need to develop on ground that’s already been scrapped,” Hudgins said 

Barna and Dent referenced the Landmark Village development project, which received significant opposition from the College community. 

Dent favored collaboration between the City and the College as the City owns land adjacent to the woods. In contrast, Barna urged the College to take the lead in preserving the woods, given its educational use as a living laboratory.

Ramsey attributed the erosion to poor design and maintenance, placing responsibility on the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and offering support for collaboration to purchase land to convert into green space. 

The candidates discussed how they plan to engage students in city decisions affecting housing, transportation and safety. 

Barna called for more open forums and student-government interactions, while Dent encouraged attending monthly council meetings and public budget discussions. Hudgins reiterated his idea of a student liaison to City Hall and suggested regular campus visits. 

Ramsay highlighted her involvement through internships and campus events, and Williams advocated for more student participation in city boards and commissions.

Lazo emphasized the importance of student engagement in local elections, noting that the forum is part of SA’s broader effort to increase accessibility. 

“Having the forum on campus makes it accessible for students,” Lazo said. “It helps ensure that the student body is activated and aware of the civic duties that apply to them.”

Both moderators stressed the significance of bringing local politics directly to students. 

“Our goal is accessibility,” Vineet said. “We want students to feel like they have the option and opportunity to speak to candidates directly.”

In their closing remarks, candidates reiterated their key campaign goals.

Dent emphasized continuing his council work with “leadership you can trust.” Hudgins focused on growth while maintaining the City’s character through his work with the Citizens for Responsible and Sustainable Development.

Barna and Ramsey shared a focus on enhancing the student experience. Ramsey pointed to economic development as progress based on student input, while Barna voiced her vision for a welcoming environment with community-wide representation. Barna also encouraged student engagement in city meetings, saying it helps the community “move forward together.”

Williams emphasized how being a student allows her to advocate for student interests while building connections with long-term residents.

Since 2010, recent graduates have consistently been elected to the council, including current member Caleb Rogers ’20, whose term ends in December.

Lazo urged the student body to get informed and vote on election day. 

“Make sure you’re educated, know the responsibilities of the council, and vote on November 5th,” Lazo said.