Around the Nation

THE WEEK IN REVIEW:

p. The Chicago Bears rebounded nicely from their first loss of the season as the new “Monsters of the Midway” easily disposed of the New York Giants 38-20 in front of a national audience on NBC’s Sunday Night Football. Rookie Devin Hester returned a missed Jay Feely field goal 108 yards to secure the victory. Hester’s return tied the record for longest play in NFL history, set 364 days earlier by Bear cornerback Nathan Vasher on a caught missed field goal as well. With the win, Chicago cemented their place as the best team in the NFC. In AFC action, disgruntled Cincinnati Bengal receiver Chad “Ocho Cinco” Johnson finally broke out of his season-long funk to haul in 11 Carson Palmer passes for 260 yards and two touchdowns. However, it would not be enough as LaDainian Tomlinson (above) rushed for 104 yards and four TDs and the San Diego Chargers defeated the Bengals in a shootout 49-41.

p. The American League and National League Cy Young Awards were announced as Johan Santana (right) of the Minnesota Twins captured his second Cy Young, while Brandon Webb of the Arizona Diamondbacks earned his first. Santana was expected to win for his 19-win, 245-strikeout performance this season, yet baseball critics were up in arms over Webb’s selection as the National League winner. Webb, playing for a mediocre team, earned only 16 wins and had a plus-3.00 ERA. Many experts had argued that San Diego Padres closer Trevor Hoffman, who broke Lee Smith’s all-time record for saves this season, deserved the award.

p. WHAT TO WATCH THIS WEEK:

p. College Football
F No. 2 Michigan at No. 1 Ohio State — Saturday, 3:30 p.m. on ABC (channel 13)
F No. 17 California at No. 4 USC – Saturday, 8 p.m. on ABC (channel 13)

p. NFL
F Indianapolis Colts at Dallas Cowboys — Sunday, 4:15 p.m. on CBS (channel 3)
F Washington Redskins at Tampa Bay Buccaneers — Sunday, 1 p.m. on FOX (channel 14)

p. NBA
F Miami Heat at San Antonio Spurs — Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. on ESPN (channel 12)

p. QUOTE OF THE WEEK:

p. “I thought it was great.”
— New York Knicks Head Coach and former Indiana University basketball player Isiah Thomas on Texas Tech Head Coach Bob Knight’s effort to get Tech player Michael Prince to look him in the eye during a timeout. Knight, using his fist, forcibly raised Prince’s head with a knock on his player’s chin. —Newsday.com