Law library named for BOV member

The library of the College’s Marshall-Wythe School of Law, currently under construction, has been named after Henry Wolf, ’64, J.D. ’66, Vice Rector and alumnus of the College.

p. Wolf, vice chairman and chief financial officer of Norfolk Southern Corporation, gave $4 million to the library. Last Friday, Law School Dean W. Taylor Reveley announced the new name.

p. “The Wolfs’ gift is crucial to the financing of the library, and the library itself will have a transforming effect on the law school,” Reveley said. “It’s by far the biggest gift in all of the law school’s 227-year history.”

p. The library costs $16.8 million and will be 40 percent larger than the former facility.

p. “The new library is being paid for by a combination of state money, law student tuition and private donations,” Director of the Law Library Jim Heller said. “The gift from the Wolfs helps us meet the private portion of this public-private partnership.”

p. Wolf has been on the College’s board of visitors since 2003.
    Construction entails a 30,000 square foot addition, completed last summer, which is currently open and housing the law school community. This will coincide with the completion of an overall renovation to be finished in spring 2007, Heller said.

p. The new library will have 100 more seats, 70 of which are lounge seating. There will be 12 group study rooms, two reading rooms, two computer labs and a public rare book room. Every table will have access to electricity and there will be wireless internet throughout the building.

p. “The gift is absolutely marvelous, and we’re very lucky to have Mr. Wolf as a patron of the law library,” Vice President for Administration Anna Martin said. “These kinds of gifts really make a difference in what we’re trying to do.”