MCR’s ‘Parade’ Tour to make stop in ‘Burg

Popular alternative rock band My Chemical Romance is expected to perform at Kaplan Arena at William & Mary Hall April 28 as part of MCR’s international Black Parade Tour.

p. The band disclosed details about the location of 11 stops on the tour between April 14 and April 28 to its official fan club today on the band’s website, MyChemicalRomance.com. The non-restricted portion of the website shows the scheduled dates, but with the locations are left mostly blank with only some letters filled in. While the location for the April 28 show is among those left mostly blank, the given letters appear to spell out “Williamsburg, Va., William and Mary Hall Kaplan Arena.”

p. The locations will be disclosed to the general public Monday.

p. The date of the show coincides with the general time frame for the University Center Activities Board’s annual spring concert; however, UCAB could not comment at press time.

p. The College’s main arena, now called Kaplan Arena, used to be a regular stop for high profile concerts, including the Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen and The Cars. My Chemical Romance would represent a return of big-name headliner concerts in Williamsburg.

p. MCR is known for its popular blend of alternative, punk and emo rock. The ‘Parade’ tour comes on the heels of the release of the band’s latest album, “The Black Parade,” in October. “The Black Parade” is the third effort from the quintet, comprised of frontman Gerard Way, bassist Mikey Way, drummer Bob Bryar and guitarists Frank Iero and Ray Toro. Like the band’s previous two albums, “Black Parade” is a concept album looking back on the life of the central character, “the Patient.”

p. The album debuted at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 list and has enjoyed generally positive reviews. Rolling Stone called the album “the best mid-Seventies record of 2006 — an ingenious, unrestrained paraphrasing of the over-the-top glam theater of Queen and classic Alice Cooper.” Likewise, The Washington Post referred to ‘Parade’ as a “phantasmagorical high-wire act.”

p. In its live act, MCR is known for high-energy performances and attention to thematic details. Like the concept-heavy albums, the band attempts to tell a story through the performance, and chooses song lists carefully, an attention to detail that is appreciated by fans who post on the message board on the band’s website.

p. More details about the additional tour dates, including times and ticket pricing, are expected to be announced Monday.