Smashing start: women go to 8-0

Women’s tennis continued their winning ways this weekend as they won both of their matches, bringing their season record to 8-0. This is the second time in College history that the team has won eight consecutive matches; the record was set in 1999. The team played Ohio State University Sunday, defeating the Buckeyes 6-1. The Tribe also gained a victory against Marshall University Friday, with a score of 7-0.

p. The match against the Buckeyes began with the no. 1-ranked doubles team of senior Megan Moulton-Levy and sophomore Katarina Zoricic earning a decisive 8-1 victory at the first position. The second doubles team, consisting of freshmen Ragini Acharya and Magdalena Bresson, had a very trying match. The duo was down 2-7 before battling back to win six straight games, making the score 8-7. Ohio State’s team of Sonia Ruzimovsky and Caitlin O’Keefe won the next game to make the score 8-8. The match ended 11-9 in favor of the Tribe after a tiresome tiebreaker, as no player could break her serve until Bresson served out the winning point.

p. The top three singles matches were all victories for the Tribe, as Moulton-Levy, Zoricic and Acharya won their matches with ease. Sophomore Barbara Zidek won at the fifth position, 6-2, 6-3, and Bresson took down her opponent in the no. 4 spot, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. Ohio State won one match, at the sixth position, as Julie Voss defeated Tribe freshman Carmen Pop 4-6, 6-4, 1-0.

p. The Tribe preceded Sunday’s victory with a win over 58th-ranked Marshall. On the doubles court, Moulton-Levy and Zoricic won at the first position, 8-3, over Karolina Soor and Thaddea Lock of the Thundering Herd. Zidek and freshman Lauren Sabacinski defeated a senior-junior duo from Marshall, 8-6.

p. The singles matches were just as successful, as all six girls defeated the Thundering Herd opponents in just two sets. Moulton-Levy, ranked fifth nationally in singles, defeated no. 18 Kellie Schmitt, 6-2, 6-0. Zidek defeated no. 94 Thaddea Lock, 6-2, 6-2, at the fifth position.

p. The team will be back on the court March 2 when they face 44th-ranked Harvard University. A win over the Crimson would set a new College record of nine consecutive victories.