George Mason Law School

College raises $7.8 million

|

May 1, 2007

The Campaign for William and Mary raised $7.83 million in the fiscal quarter that began Jan. 1 and ended March 31, a drop from the record $26 million raised in the quarter that ended Dec. 31, 2006.

p. The campaign, the largest in College history, surpassed its $500 million goal in Dec. 2006, but dropped back below the goal when a donor revoked an approximately $12 million pledge.

p. The donor was angry about College President Gene Nichol’s decision to remove a cross from permanent display in the Wren Chapel.

p. The Office of University Development initially refused to release numbers for the quarter that ended March 31, but a Freedom of Information Act request yielded the data.

p. The College, however, would not release the total amount raised by the campaign.

p. Based on previously-released figures, The Flat Hat estimates that the campaign has raised a total $498.5 million, meaning that if past trends hold, the campaign will meet the $500 million goal by its June 30 end date.

p. The College also released a list of the largest contributions to the campaign. An unattributed $24,491,064 donation tops the list.
The revoked pledge would have been the fifth- or sixth-largest donation to the campaign and the seventh- or eighth-largest donation in College history.

Tribe Square evicts The Crust leaving ground floor empty
As gubernatorial primary nears, students get out the vote
College mourns death of online MBA student, Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken