This Week in Flat Hat History (Sept. 21)

|

September 21, 2007

**1929**
The U.S. Government placed the first post office on campus in the Citizenship building that was torn down in 1931. Due to the demands of a government post office, the building was renovated to hold the new office.

p. **1951**
A special edition of The Flat Hat was released Sept. 20 that contained an apologetic statement by members of the faculty regarding academic irregularities in the athletic departments. A meeting revealed that the athletic program had hit a point when the athletic life of certain students was considered more important than academic life.

p. **1967**
The Commons, now known as the Caf, was opened, giving the College a second dining hall. The Commons greatly relieved overcrowding in Trinkle Hall of the Campus Center, which was then used as a cafeteria. Students could only eat breakfast and dinner in their assigned food halls, but lunch could be eaten at either cafeteria.

p. **1984**
Blow Gymnasium, now known as Blow Memorial Hall, was closed temporarily to discuss security protocols.. The gymnasium was open to students and alumni. However, it was found that a number of people who were not alumni, students or faculty members were using the gym.

SA passes Hobble Wobble Gobble Act, plans to purchase Thanksgiving turkeys
Inside COLL: Professors raise questions, concerns about implementation of COLL curriculum
Student problems with swipe access stem from data errors