Women’s Soccer: College takes down two CAA opponents

The 24th-ranked Tribe beat the University of Delaware 2-1 and Drexel University 3-0 this weekend to kick off its CAA schedule; the wins improve the College to 7-3 overall and 2-0 in CAA play.
The Tribe faced Delaware Sunday afternoon, and Delaware’s defense kept the College scoreless until the second half despite the Tribe’s 16 first-half shots. The game remained close throughout, even after the College went ahead 2-0, with the final outcome up in the air until the final seconds of the game. The Tribe offense kept pressure on Delaware, taking 30 shots including nine on goal, but did not score until junior Claire Zimmeck’s header in the 62nd minute of the game. Junior Danielle Collins followed with a goal of her own less than five minutes later, connecting on Meredith Brown’s corner kick with a header from five yards.

p. “I knew we would have to come out strong against Delaware because they are always a tough opponent,” Collins said. “From the kickoff I felt like we were really dominating play, and even though it took until the second half to score, we were creating a ton of opportunities and really controlling the game.”

p. Tribe junior goalkeeper Meghan Walker held back Delaware until striker Caitlyn Germain converted a penalty kick in the 76th minute.

p.According to Head Coach John Daly, the Tribe did not capitalize on opportunities as much as they could have.

p. “We created a lot of chances in the second half today that we did not follow through on,” Daly said. “It would have made it easier for us if we had followed through on these chances.”

p. The College dominated the Drexel Dragons Friday ,posting a 3-0 victory. Under two minutes into the match, Zimmeck scored off a cross from freshman Mary Jacocks. Collins and sophomore Kellie Jenkins also scored in the match. The Tribe outshot Drexel 21-5 as nine of the College’s shots were on goal, while Drexel recorded no shots on goal.

p. The Tribe’s next four games are on the road against conference foes, and this stretch promises to be challenging.

p. “We have a very tough series ahead,” Daly said. “We’ve got to tighten up more defensively and hope that we can hold them at bay.”

p. The College begins its road trip this Friday at 7 p.m. when it travels to Hofstra University.