George Mason Law School

Swimming and Diving: Tribe women win fifth-straight meet

|

January 23, 2008

__Men fall to UNCW, Matthews and Radloff earn multiple individual victories__

p. The Tribe women defeated the University of North Carolina Wilmington Seahawks 157-143 Saturday afternoon, pushing its winning streak to five meets, while the men’s team fell to the Seahawks 183-115.

p. The women’s team (5-3, 3-1 CAA) won nine out of 16 events, while the men (4-4, 2-2 CAA) had seven victories over the Seahawks. Sophomore Katie Radloff led the women’s team with four victories — two in relay races and two in individual freestyle races.

p. Radloff swam anchor in the meet’s first event — the 400-medley relay — along with senior captain Meredith David, sophomore Erin Welshofer and freshman Carolyn Royce. The relay team swam to a victory in 3 minutes and 55.23 seconds — the seventh-best finish time in the College’s history. The College’s 400-freestyle team of sophomore Lindsay Guers, junior Marina Falcone and senior Christina Monsees touched the wall in 3:31.58, the College’s fifth-best performance. Individually, Radloff won the 50-free, timing 23.88 seconds, as well as the 100-free, finishing in 51.38 seconds. These four victories bring the sophomore’s career total to 46 victories.

p. David claimed another victory for the Tribe in the 100-back, finishing in 59.03 seconds, while Guers dominated the 200-free with a time of 1:53.73. Royce placed first in the 100-breast, finishing at 1:08.41, and teammate Welshofer pulled past UNCW in the 200-fly to swim the race in 2:08.04. Freshman Sarah Cannon wrapped up the College’s wins by finishing first in the meet’s required-list 1-meter diving event.

p. For the men, junior Shawn Matthews claimed three victories, first in the 400-medley relay with juniors Jason Brisson, Nader Amer and graduate student Nick Duda. The next were two individual wins in the 100-back with 52.64 seconds and the 200-back with a time of 1:55.11.

p. Several other swimmers claimed victories in individual events. Duda placed first in the 100-free with a time of 47.84 seconds, bringing his college-career wins to 25. In the 200-fly Amer out-swam the competition with a time of 1:58.05, while sophomore Kevin Gallagher finished first in 200-free in 1:44.55. Freshman Geoff Ramsdell touched the wall at 53.09 seconds in the 100-fly, securing another win for the Tribe.

p. The women return to the pool Saturday at 1 p.m. for the team’s last non-conference meet at the University of Richmond. The men, however, have a two-week break before the team takes on Old Dominion University Feb. 1.

Tribe Square evicts The Crust leaving ground floor empty
As gubernatorial primary nears, students get out the vote
College mourns death of online MBA student, Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken