Fu Manchus need not apply

|

March 21, 2008

A few nights ago I had a very heated discussion with my boyfriend about the gender wage gap. There I was, trucking along, spouting numbers and saying that women need to be more economically minded in relationships. But suddenly the conversation took a turn for the worse.

p. Feminist ideology might be his deal-breaker. Dating the hegemony might be mine.

p. It’s a good idea to have a personal list of deal-breakers before diving into the complex world of dating — both within the brick walls of the College and without. It’s always good to have a way to whittle down the droves of suitors at your door. Having deal-breakers is key.

p. Maybe your beau has a Fu Manchu. The solution is easy enough — voice your concerns early and often. “Oh honey, are you becoming a pro-wrestler? Are you in someone’s security detail? Do you want to be part of the Village People?” If this doesn’t go your way, Samson-and-Delilah that mess before things get serious.
Being a sloppy drunk can be a deal-breaker; vomit is never sexy.

p. However, some habits can be conditioned away. I was a PDA-prone drunk until I trained myself to just be judgmental instead. The things I do for love.

p. I once had — and potentially still have — a thing for terrible, terrible people. This wasn’t a problem; rather each relationship had to end because of a minor additional flaw. Such as, say, being embroiled in a sexual assault case — deal-breaker. Or, a marathon cheating spree that totaled five different chicks in a month. My rough calculation concludes that this meant my then-boyfriend slept with two different women who were not his girlfriend in a single week — deal-breaker. Had he been more judicious, perhaps only one a week, I may have let it slide. Or the boy who was the worst gossip I have ever encountered — including during my eight years at an elite all-girls school. I knew things about myself that hadn’t even happened yet — and luckily, never actually happened in reality. Dating a gossip girl — total deal breaker.

p. I’ve been lucky to avoid some awful deal-breakers. I’ve actively avoided smokers, addicts and convicts (though I came close once or twice). I’ve never had an abusive relationship or a boyfriend who, to the best of my knowledge, was mean to his mom. I’ve avoided egregious and distasteful tattoos but, unfortunately, not piercings. By and large the aesthetic deal-breakers have remained intact. Perhaps I just never thought about the ideological ones.
I don’t know if I could date a neo-conservative; I haven’t given it much thought. I know I couldn’t marry someone who wanted a stay-at-home wife, but nobody articulates that kind of thing at the onset of a relationship. When is it appropriate to dive into these questions? They’re embarrassing and revealing and totally necessary — especially when commitment looms in the future.
Close your eyes: Can you imagine the person your parents expect you to be with? I can. There’s a clear set of expectations from social groups too. I have a rough idea of background, occupation and, dare I say it, class that’s acceptable to my parents. But if I try to imagine who I want, in mind, body and spirit — that’s more difficult. So, I guess it’s good to weed out what I don’t want. I’m not currently overwhelmed with potential partners, but as graduation gets closer and the dating pool vastly expands, who knows what kind of creepos I’ll meet. At least I can cut the Fu Manchus immediately.

p. Charlotte Savino is a Confusion Corner columnist. She enjoys long walks on the beach and boyfriends with questionable morals.

Cheesebro alerts campus following Thursday night’s IED detonation
Powering Through “BoJack Horseman”
The “Rocky Horror” Rant