This Week in Flat Hat History: April 8

Written by

|

April 8, 2008

1:54 AM

**1923**

Members of the Philomathean Literary Society were judges at an orations contest for high school students in Gloucester County. The contest was held in order to select representatives for the state level competition at U.Va.

**1954**

The Mermettes, the College’s aquatic performance troupe, performed a piece entitled “Fantasia.” The two-act show contained 10 different routines, ranging in character from fantasy to primitive ritual. The performance took place in the Blow Memorial Gymnasium pool.

**1973**

Due to an unusually large number of female applicants for campus housing, the College had to change many housing assignments for the 1973-1974 academic year. Female freshman were housed in Dupont, Botetourt and Brown, while upperclass female students were to be housed in Jefferson, Landrum, Barrett, Chandler and King Halls, along with the Ludwell Apartments.

**1998**

Around 250 members of the College community took a vow of silence in support of gay and lesbian rights. From 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., students, faculty and staff remained silent and wore purple armbands for The Day of Silence, an event held annually at over 160 colleges in 19 states.

Share This Article

Related News

Tribe Square evicts The Crust leaving ground floor empty
As gubernatorial primary nears, students get out the vote
College mourns death of online MBA student, Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken

About Author

The Flat Hat
  • The Flat Hat