This Week in Flat Hat History

|

April 11, 2008

**1916**

– A petition against the Board of Visitors’ decision to build a new dorm circulated among students at the College. Instead of off campus, students wanted the new dormitory to be built across from the library.

**1943**

– Professor Thorne of the Fine Arts department offered a class for thirty students in the basement of the Wren Building entitled Camouflage. Students were required to camouflage themselves and make their way from Lake Matoaka to an academic building without being spotted by sentries stationed in the woods.

**1965**

– Over 500 athletes from high schools and colleges, including Wake Forest University and Old Dominion University, participated in the third annual Colonial Relays in Williamsburg. Events included a three-mile run and 300-meter steeplechase.

**1992**

– Non-student Michael Carter was arrested after allegedly breaking into a room in the Ludwell Apartments occupied by two female students. This was one of several break-ins reported in the complex throughout the scholastic year. In response, the College decided to improve the locks and post a security guard outside the apartments for the rest of the semester.

College, RBC unveil program aimed at helping low-income students transfer more easily
Power outage, Boutetourt Complex evacuation costs College $63,000