Home Field Advantage: Fall offers plenty of chances to catch Tribe sports

|

August 22, 2008

The College of William and Mary’s fall sports schedule is chock full of exciting games. There’s the always fan-friendly football, a top-notch women’s soccer club and some pretty quick runners. Add in some bump-set-spike, field hockey and men’s soccer and the table is set for a full fall.

There are 52 games, matches and meets at the College this fall. Some students may miss them all. Others might make it to a few football games. But for those of you who’d like to enjoy a fall sports variety six-pack, I’ve got you covered.

Saturday, Sept. 27 at 10 a.m. — Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Colonial Inter-Regional
So it’s a bit earlier than most other sporting events, but it’s also the only chance you’ll have to see a nearly-full squad of Tribe runners. The College almost always dominates the CAA, and the men have finished inside the top-15 at the national championship meet the last two years. The course (8k for men and 6k for women) is located just a few miles off campus at Eastern State Hospital, and offers spectators ample opportunities to catch the action.

Saturday Oct. 4 at 1 p.m. — Football vs. Villanova University
In its first CAA game of the season, the Tribe will entertain a preseason top-25 team in Villanova. It’s a family weekend day game, which will disappoint some fans, but the game will be a great indicator of what lies ahead for the College’s playoff hopes. The Tribe could leave the field that day 3-1 or 2-2. It’s a big game.

Tuesday Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. — Men’s Soccer vs. University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill
Sure it’s the last day of fall break. Sure it’s a Tuesday night at an off-campus venue. But it’s a perfect night for soccer. Mid-October in Williamsburg is pretty spectacular, so an evening at Albert-Daly Field shouldn’t disappoint. Plus, the Tribe will be up against a preseason top-25 team in UNC. The Tar Heels will have played arch-rival Duke University four days before and could be looking ahead to a match with 2007 national semifinalist Virginia Tech. Can you say trap-game?

Sunday Oct. 26 at 2 p.m. — Field Hockey vs. James Madison University
A Sunday matinee and a date with CAA foe JMU — a top-ten team — make for the right time to catch Tribe field hockey. Hit the Caf for a late brunch and plop yourself down on the metal bleachers at Busch Field for the afternoon. A young College squad should provide plenty of excitement, but it’ll be the final home match for the Tribe seniors. I think they’ll want to go out with a win.

Thursday Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. — Women’s Soccer vs. Old Dominion University
ODU may be down this year, but this match is significant. It’s senior night for a highly decorated and successful Tribe quartet in Dani Collins, Abby Lauer, Meghan Walker and Claire Zimmeck. The four spearhead the College’s efforts on the pitch from every angle — saves, goals, assists and tackles. Picked to win the league, the Tribe could secure a regular season crown that night.

Saturday Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. — Volleyball vs. University of Delaware
Just because there’s no home football game doesn’t mean the world of Tribe sports comes to a halt. The College will host defending CAA champ Delaware in its final home contest. Playoff implications will hinge on its outcome. A Tribe squad picked third in the league will be looking for a win over a CAA powerhouse.

There you have it. Six great dates to see all six fall teams in action once. But if you miss one, don’t worry — there are 46 other chances.

Tribe Square evicts The Crust leaving ground floor empty
As gubernatorial primary nears, students get out the vote
College mourns death of online MBA student, Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken