Home Field Advantage: Fall offers plenty of chances to catch Tribe sports

The College of William and Mary’s fall sports schedule is chock full of exciting games. There’s the always fan-friendly football, a top-notch women’s soccer club and some pretty quick runners. Add in some bump-set-spike, field hockey and men’s soccer and the table is set for a full fall.

There are 52 games, matches and meets at the College this fall. Some students may miss them all. Others might make it to a few football games. But for those of you who’d like to enjoy a fall sports variety six-pack, I’ve got you covered.

Saturday, Sept. 27 at 10 a.m. — Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Colonial Inter-Regional
So it’s a bit earlier than most other sporting events, but it’s also the only chance you’ll have to see a nearly-full squad of Tribe runners. The College almost always dominates the CAA, and the men have finished inside the top-15 at the national championship meet the last two years. The course (8k for men and 6k for women) is located just a few miles off campus at Eastern State Hospital, and offers spectators ample opportunities to catch the action.

Saturday Oct. 4 at 1 p.m. — Football vs. Villanova University
In its first CAA game of the season, the Tribe will entertain a preseason top-25 team in Villanova. It’s a family weekend day game, which will disappoint some fans, but the game will be a great indicator of what lies ahead for the College’s playoff hopes. The Tribe could leave the field that day 3-1 or 2-2. It’s a big game.

Tuesday Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. — Men’s Soccer vs. University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill
Sure it’s the last day of fall break. Sure it’s a Tuesday night at an off-campus venue. But it’s a perfect night for soccer. Mid-October in Williamsburg is pretty spectacular, so an evening at Albert-Daly Field shouldn’t disappoint. Plus, the Tribe will be up against a preseason top-25 team in UNC. The Tar Heels will have played arch-rival Duke University four days before and could be looking ahead to a match with 2007 national semifinalist Virginia Tech. Can you say trap-game?

Sunday Oct. 26 at 2 p.m. — Field Hockey vs. James Madison University
A Sunday matinee and a date with CAA foe JMU — a top-ten team — make for the right time to catch Tribe field hockey. Hit the Caf for a late brunch and plop yourself down on the metal bleachers at Busch Field for the afternoon. A young College squad should provide plenty of excitement, but it’ll be the final home match for the Tribe seniors. I think they’ll want to go out with a win.

Thursday Oct. 30 at 7 p.m. — Women’s Soccer vs. Old Dominion University
ODU may be down this year, but this match is significant. It’s senior night for a highly decorated and successful Tribe quartet in Dani Collins, Abby Lauer, Meghan Walker and Claire Zimmeck. The four spearhead the College’s efforts on the pitch from every angle — saves, goals, assists and tackles. Picked to win the league, the Tribe could secure a regular season crown that night.

Saturday Nov. 1 at 7 p.m. — Volleyball vs. University of Delaware
Just because there’s no home football game doesn’t mean the world of Tribe sports comes to a halt. The College will host defending CAA champ Delaware in its final home contest. Playoff implications will hinge on its outcome. A Tribe squad picked third in the league will be looking for a win over a CAA powerhouse.

There you have it. Six great dates to see all six fall teams in action once. But if you miss one, don’t worry — there are 46 other chances.