Staff Editorial: Vote in Williamsburg

|

September 23, 2008

It’s difficult, if not impossible, to overestimate the importance of voting, and yet the college demographic remains remarkably blasé about it. Every year, 18- to 24-year-olds sit at home while other folks shape the course of the country. Until last summer, Williamsburg offered students a great excuse not to vote in this town — it was nearly impossible to register.

But now, with more than 1,000 students registered and voting booths within walking distance, nothing’s stopping them from participating in the world’s oldest and greatest experiment in democracy. In fact, we can think of only two reasons not to vote here in Williamsburg: You’re registered elsewhere, or you’re not registered at all.

If it’s the latter, then it’s time to get moving. With the presidential election fast approaching, the Monday, Oct. 6, deadline to register lies only a couple weeks away. Registering takes just a few minutes — not much at all, considering the payoff. Not only will votes make a difference here in local elections, but, for perhaps the first time in our lifetimes, Virginia matters in the electoral battle. The outcome’s a toss-up, and current predictions color the commonwealth a lovely shade of magenta. After the 2000 election, it’s not a stretch to say 1,000 votes could swing an election. Why shouldn’t they be yours?

Behind Closed Doors: Don’t Kink Shame Me, Bro
Presidential search enters second stage, releases leadership profile
Board of Visitors responds to DACA, DeVos speech: Future unclear for College’s policies following actions by Trump administration