McDermott ’98 named Eagles’ defensive coordinator

|

July 28, 2009

The Philadelphia Eagles named Sean McDermott ’98 their new defensive coordinator Friday, July 24, after previous coordinator Jim Johnson extended his indefinite leave of absence while he battles a recurrence of melanoma.

McDermott played safety at the College of William and Mary from 1994 to 1997. During that span he started 26 games, registered 322 total tackles and was named captain his senior season.

In 1996, McDermott lined up along side of future NFL Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper ’97 to headline a unit which gave up the second fewest yards per game in the country while taking the Yankee Conference Championship.

During the 1997 campaign, McDermott earned both All-Atlantic 10 and All-Eastern College Athletic Conference honors after recording 102 tackles.

Upon graduation, McDermott initially served as a volunteer assistant to the College’s defense. Later that year, McDermott made the move to the NFL when he was hired by Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Andy Reid as a scouting assistant. McDermott has coached both linebackers and members of the secondary with the Eagles and has worked exclusively with the defense since 2001.

College, RBC unveil program aimed at helping low-income students transfer more easily
Power outage, Boutetourt Complex evacuation costs College $63,000