A focus on people and compassion

1
103

To the undecided voter:

I’m not sure if it amuses or disturbs me that in our political discourse, we seldom actually talk about people. We talk about the economy, employment, the housing market and a host of other things that aren’t people. But what about that girl you sit next to in Morton Hall? What about the custodial worker who you see almost every morning when you walk to the bathroom? What about the barista at the Daily Grind who makes your coffee? We don’t think enough on the micro level when it comes to politics.

Undecided voter, I want you to think about those people on Election Day. I also want you to think about your family and friends. When you decide who to vote for, put the human element back into the political equation.

As the youth of this nation, we are deciding who will run this country during one of the most influential times in our lives. These years will define us as a generation, and the president we pick will be part of our legacy. Our choice should be President Barack Obama. I’m not saying this because I want you to vote for a Democrat; I’m saying this because I want you to vote for the candidate who looks out for all Americans.

From supporting LGBTQ rights to overhauling our costly healthcare system and improving the economy, Obama’s presidency has not been one of failure as the opposing side would like you to believe. It has been one of commitment and action. Voting for Gov. Mitt Romney and with the current Republican Party is voting against your fellow citizen. It’s voting against the veteran who just returned from deployment and needs government assistance to make ends meet. It’s voting against the rape survivor who could lose her right to choose after her choice was already taken away once. It’s voting against your friend who can’t marry the partner he loves because they are the same sex. Voting for Romney is voting against all these people who are just trying to find their American dream. Please, don’t forget these people your vote affects.

It should not be debatable as to whether we should keep our fellow citizens from being on the streets or suffering from disease and discrimination. I don’t know about you, but I believe in the American values of liberty, equality and justice for all. Join me in voting for Obama next Tuesday because we are in this together no matter where you come from and no matter who you are. You are a person who feels, cries, breathes, laughs and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.

Obama’s compassion has radiated through his presidency and campaign. Romney seems interested only in being president. America needs someone who empathizes with our needs and struggles; we do not need someone who scoffs at the poor or openly supports discriminatory policies. We have progressed too much to begin taking huge steps back.

We are all one Tribe, so we need to elect a president who sees one United States of America. When you cast your ballot, please remember your compassion for your fellow person. Add humanity back into the discourse. Don’t let this election be about abstract notions; instead, let it be about you and the people you know. Vote for our generation to be one not of backward movement and injustice but of charging forward into the world with vigor, hope, love, motivation and the desire to make positive change in this world.

Don’t be undecided any longer. This election isn’t about our deficit; it is about voting for a president who will not look away from the struggles we face but will stand with us to find the solutions we need. Help define our generation as one that will uphold the rights of our citizens. Make the right choice, and vote for Obama.

Onward and upward,

Alex