Fourteen College graduates receive Fulbright grants

|

October 29, 2013

With fourteen College of William and Mary graduates receiving 2013-14 Fulbright U.S. student grants, the College has the highest number of recipients of Virginia schools.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reported that 53 graduates applied for Fulbright scholarships this year. In addition to the 14 who received grants, four were named as alternates.

With this year’s number of recipients, the College broke its own record, set in 2010 when 13 graduates received scholarships.

Nationally, the College ranks 20th among research institutions for producing Fulbright students.

“The College’s emphasis on research certainly gives us a higher caliber of full grant applications,” Fulbright Program adviser and associate director of the Charles Center Lisa Grimes said in a press release. “The William & Mary faculty’s commitment to this program is also extraordinary in terms of mentoring and encouraging students.”

The Charles Center also offers aid to prepare students planning on applying for Fulbright scholarships — a five-week program called “Fulbright Fridays” began last semester.

The Fulbright program was established in 1946 and offers merit-based grants for students and professionals to conduct research or work abroad.

College, RBC unveil program aimed at helping low-income students transfer more easily
Power outage, Boutetourt Complex evacuation costs College $63,000

Abby Boyle

Senior staff writer Abby Boyle '15 is an English major from Bexley, Ohio. She was previously Managing Editor, News Editor, Variety Editor and Associate Variety Editor.