Baseball: Tribe sweeps Northeastern in Boston

William and Mary traveled to Boston, Mass., to face Colonial Athletic Association foe Northeastern in a weekend series. Late-game rallies became the norm, as the Tribe (25-14, 9-2 CAA) swept the Huskies (15-21, 4-8 CAA) by virtue of late-inning drama.

Friday’s 5-3 win came after a two runs in the top of the tenth inning. Freshman shortstop Tim Hoehn and senior third baseman Kevin Casey each recorded hits in the decisive extra inning.

Junior Jason Inghram lasted nine innings, giving up just three runs on six hits alongside seven strikeouts in the win. Heading into Saturday, head coach Brian Murphy sent senior John Sheehan to the mound.

Sheehan threw seven innings, allowing two runs on eight hits. A run in the eighth inning cemented the College’s series-clinching 3-2 win, thanks to Casey’s groundout, which drove home senior second baseman Ryan Lindemuth.

With the series win sealed, the Tribe went for the sweep Sunday. A come-from-behind rally, highlighted by a two-run ninth inning, earned the Tribe an 8-6 victory.

After a scoreless first inning, sophomore catcher Ryan Hissey scored the first run for the Tribe. The lead, however, didn’t hold. The Huskies answered with two runs in the bottom of the second for an advantage they would maintain through the seventh inning.

The prospect of a Tribe victory looked dim as the Huskies led 6-2 heading into the eighth inning. The Tribe stormed back with six runs in the last two innings to capture the road victory.

Hissey scored in the top of the eighth, followed by Casey, who scored after Hoehn reached on an error. Two subsequent unearned scores by senior first baseman Kevin Nutter and Hoehn evened the scoreboard at the top of the eighth.

The Tribe clinched the win in the ninth inning, when Hissey scored after Casey singled up the middle. Sophomore right fielder Josh Smith scored soon after, giving the Tribe a two-run advantage. Northeastern could not answer in the bottom of the ninth.

Poor fielding proved to be the downfall for the Huskies. Huskie pitcher Michael Foster allowed six runs over seven innings, allowing only one earned run. The Huskies totaled three errors.

Despite their fielding woes, the Huskies still had plenty of opportunities. Northeastern stranded many base runners, leaving a total of 17 on base compared to the Tribe’s 12.

Nutter was named the CAA Player of the Week Monday, following his strong weekend performances against the Huskies.

Head coach Brian Murphy’s squad has yet to drop a series against a conference foe, and is currently in second place in the CAA.

The Tribe faces conference foe Hofstra Friday with the first pitch scheduled for 7 p.m. The next six games will be played at Plumeri Park.