Choosing classes wisely during the highs and lows of registration

Every semester, class registration sends students into an anxiety-filled frenzy, creating an atmosphere reminiscent of “The Hunger Games.” And if that isn’t scary enough, the prospect of waking up before 7 a.m. surely is.

Every time registration cames around, I dreaded it all: from making sure my classes didn’t overlap to double checking that, yes, I had written down the correct course number.

Although some parts of registration require a certain amount of planning and consideration, the biggest problem is not the technicalities of registration itself, but rather the fact that I had to be a perfectionist about the whole process. I was determined to avoid all morning classes — and by ‘morning’ I mean all classes that required me to be up and functioning before 11 a.m. While this seems ideal to the hate-everything-about-mornings type of person, it is not a viable option when you need a class that only has morning time slots.

I decided to take a different approach when I registered for my second semester classes freshman year. Grudgingly, I accepted my fate and added a 9 a.m. and a 9:30 a.m. to my schedule. Needless to say, it was a far cry from my previous semester and it definitely wasn’t paradise, but it was doable. So, for all of you who despise waking up before noon, trust me, I understand. But don’t let that deter you from taking classes you need for your major or from any classes that sound cool and interesting.

The same rule applies to Friday classes. Although it sounds like a great idea not to avoid Friday classes — who doesn’t love a three-day weekend — you could be running the risk of missing out on a class that you may have really enjoyed.

When you have your heart set on taking a certain class, it can be crushing when that class fills up on registration day, and on top of that, you still aren’t able to get the class during add/drop and the professor won’t grant you an override. You feel hopeless and wonder whether you will ever graduate. Nevertheless, if all else fails and you cannot get a class you looked forward to, try something new. Back-up courses may not seem all that exciting, but after attending a few classes, you may find out that you enjoy a class that originally was not on your radar.

If you don’t think you can manage an 8 a.m. class which is not absolutely necessary — or if you cannot adjust your schedule for whatever reason,  — that is okay. Setting yourself up for an easier registration does not have to be life altering. If you can step outside of your comfort zone and compromise, registration will be a lot more manageable and hopefully, less stressful.

Email Sierra Andersen at snandersen@email.wm.edu.