Women’s basketball: College splits, moves to 11-12 overall

William and Mary won 72-68 against Drexel Friday in Philadelphia and lost 52-46 to Hofstra Sunday in Hempstead, N.Y. The Tribe finished the weekend with an 11-12 record.

The win over Drexel was the Tribe’s fourth consecutive victory. The College (11-12, 5-7 CAA) needed two overtime periods to clinch the win.

Senior guard Jazmen Boone scored 16 points against Drexel (14-9, 8-4 CAA). She also made three steals, one block, two assists and two rebounds, dominating both offensively and defensively.

Freshman center Abby Rendle scored 14 points and added five rebounds, three blocks and two steals. Senior guard Kyla Kerstetter, sophomore guards Latrice Hunter and Marlena Tremba also made big contributions, each scoring in double figures and making multiple assists.

Drexel led for the better part of the first half, making a 6-0 run and earning an 18-10 lead with 10 minutes remaining. However, the Tribe rallied back with an 8-2 run, cutting Drexel’s lead to 24-22 with three minutes left. Drexel responded with a 5-2 run to extend their lead, but contributions from Rendle and sophomore forward Alexandra Masaquel closed the gap to 29-27 at the end of the first half, with Drexel leading.

Toward the middle of the second half, the College went on an 8-0 run to take the lead for the first time of the night. Although Drexel rallied back, Kerstetter’s jumper gave the Tribe a 36-33 lead with 13 minutes remaining.

Drexel regained the lead for most of the remaining minutes, but Hunter scored a free throw to tie the game and force overtime with less than 30 seconds remaining in regulation.

Drexel dominated the initial part of the first overtime, scoring seven points in a row to take a 56-50 lead with less than two minutes left in the game. However, the Tribe made a 7-1 run with contributions from Hunter, Tremba, Boone and Drexel’s Sarah Curran to tie the game at 57 apiece, forcing a second overtime.

The Tribe took the lead early in the second overtime. Hunter and Kerstetter maintained the initial lead, scoring two free throws apiece. The College finished the game 72-68, outlasting Drexel and winning its fourth game in a row, marking the Tribe’s longest winning streak in three years.

The College failed to continue its streak against Hofstra Sunday. Masaquel led the team wih 14 points; she also made five rebounds and two steals. Rendle scored 10 points.

Hofstra (14-9, 7-5 CAA) took an initial lead of 4-0, but the Tribe quickly responded with a streak of its own, forcing the score to 7-4 with just under 20 minutes remaining in the half. Hofstra, however, rose to the occasion with a 10-point run, bringing the Pride’s lead to 22-16. Tremba and Kerstetter cut Hofstra’s lead to 24-22 to close out the half.

Boone and Rendle made big contributions in the second half, helping the College to a narrow 28-27 lead with 18 minutes to go in the second half. Hofstra quickly regained the lead with 15 minutes remaining, taking off with an 8-0 run. The Tribe failed to strike back and conceded the 52-46 loss.

The Tribe returns to Kaplan Arena for a home matchup against Delaware Friday at 7 p.m.