Women’s Golf: Tribe takes 12th in North Florida Collegiate

|

March 12, 2015

William and Mary took 12th place at the North Florida Collegiate Monday and Tuesday, a significant improvement over its 28th place finish at its last tournament at Kiawah Island. The North Florida Collegiate took place at Jacksonville Country and Golf Club in Jacksonville, Fl. and featured 18 teams.

At the end of the first day’s two rounds, the Tribe stood in 11th place with a score of 627; The University of Houston led the pack with a total of 594. Junior Alessandra Liu ended the day tied for second place overall out of the 105 golfers, shooting 74-72 and besting her pre-tournament average of 75.44 shots per round.

Senior Kellie Edelblut, coming in the tournament with an average of 80.13 strokes, shot 79-79 to finish at 50th, while sophomore Mia Zanghetti shot 80-80, good for a 59th place finish. Before Florida, Zanghetti averaged 77.83 strokes per round. The University of Texas’ Bertine Strauss led the first day with a score of 144.

Tuesday’s one round brought the College to 12th place with 946 points. Houston remained at the top, taking the title with a total of 885.

Individually, Liu dropped from second to ninth place overall, shooting 79 and totaling 225 points. This marked her third top-ten finish this season. Zanghetti moved up to finish at 48th, shooting 77, a team best of the day. Shooting just below her pre-tournament average, Edelblut finished at 57th with 81. Houston’s Megan Thothong took first place individually with a total of 217; Strauss tied for second at 218.

After a three-week hiatus, the Tribe will host the Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate at the River Course at Kingsmill Resort in James County, Va., scheduled to begin March 30.

Swimming: Men, women have strong showings at Big Al Invitational
Men’s Basketball: High-powered offense spurs College to two victories
Women’s Basketball: Tribe wins trio of games to push winning streak to five

• Devin Logan

Devin Logan '18 is an Accounting major from Minnetonka, Minn.