Gymnastics: Men, women post second

The highlight of the women's competition was beam while the men found the most success on the rings. COURTESY PHOTO // TRIBE ATHLETICS.

Saturday, the William and Mary men and women placed second at their respective meets. The women fell 195.725-193.325 in a dual meet at NC State and the men took second in a tri-meet at Army with a score of 379.8.

The highlight of the women’s events in North Carolina was beam, where the College posted a season-high team score and three Tribe gymnasts put up career highs. Sophomore Evan Pakshong (9.825), sophomore Caroline Caponi (9.750) and sophomore Taylor White (9.675) all scored personal bests to contribute to the team score of 48.525.

The Tribe saw another gymnast post a career-best score on floor. Sophomore Elizabeth Snoddy’s 9.775 was a career high for her. Junior Aaliyah Kerr was the College’s top scorer on that event, helping the team to a 48.550.

On vault, sophomore Erika Marr (9.725) and freshman Katie Waldman (9.700) were the Tribe’s top scorers, adding to the team score of 48.000. Waldman (9.725) and Pakshong (9.700) also contributed on bars, helping the College to a 48.250.

This week, three members of the Tribe competed in the all-around. Like last week, Waldman once again led the way for the College, this time posting a 38.725. Caponi and White also competed in all four events at NC State, posting scores of 38.525 and 37.775, respectively.

The Tribe men fared better than the women Saturday. The College took second with a score of 379.8, falling to host Army (385.0) but besting Springfield (373.75).

The men’s top performance was on rings, where the team total of 67.3 was enough to earn the Tribe first place on that event. Junior David Watkins took first with his score of 13.8. Juniors Jacopo Gliozzi and Peter Makey tied for third on rings, posting matching scores of 13.6. This score marked a career high for Gliozzi.

The Tribe also took the team title on high bar with a score of 57.25. Junior David Allen placed first with a 12.1. Seniors Mitchell Campbell (11.6) and Jeremiah McReynolds (11.5) also contributed to the College’s winning high bar total.

Although it did not take the team title, the Tribe had another individual first on pommel horse, where senior Griffin Antle posted a 13.1. Gliozzi (12.6) also added to the College’s team total score of 59.45 on that event.

The Tribe had yet another athlete on the podium on vault. Senior Juan Palma took second, posting a 14.15. The College posted a team total of 68.3 with the additional help of junior Jack Hasenkopf (13.9) and sophomore Tomas Palma (13.8).

Freshman Cutter Fuggett earned another podium spot for the Tribe when his 13.45 tied for second place on floor. Sophomore Tim O’Neill and Juan Palma posted 13.3 and 13.0, respectively, helping the College to an overall score of 64.6 on floor.

The only individual event where the Tribe did not see the podium was parallel bars. The College’s team total score on that event was a 62.9, with Antle (13.4), Campbell (13.1) and McReynolds (13.0) contributing.

Hasenkopf and sophomore Nate Winneg were the Tribe’s all-around competitors Saturday, posting scores of 73.45 and 70.95, respectively.

Both the men and the women will be back in action next week, this time at home. The men will host Navy at Kaplan Friday, March 2 at 6 p.m. This will be the Tribe men’s third face-off against Navy, and the College will be looking for its first win against the Midshipmen this weekend. The women will be up Saturday, March 3 at 3 p.m. against West Chester at Kaplan. The Tribe women will still be in search of their first win of the season.