Zakriya, Vita, DeMarco win class president seats in SA elections

Brendan Boylan '19 talks with students as active campaigning ensues from SA candidates. SARAH SMITH / THE FLAT HAT

Brendan Boylan ’19 and Samir Tawalare ’19 won the 2018 Student Assembly race Thursday, March 22 in a historically unopposed election. Boylan and Tawalare received 2101 votes, or 85.42 percent of the vote as 347 opt-out votes were cast.

4,625 students out of 8,740 of students at the College voted in the election, raising voter turnout last year from 36 percent to 53 percent this year.

“I am so humbled to have this opportunity to serve my fellow students alongside someone as compassionate and driven as Samir,” Boylan said. “We are going to build a cabinet that will represent students’ needs and we will fight the right battles on behalf of student rights. I couldn’t have done this without the support of Samir and Rachel, my friends, my family, and those students who share our vision for a united and joyous community. I’m happy to celebrate tonight and I am looking forward to getting to work tomorrow on transitioning the government and forging the path for next year.”

Tawalare expressed his excitement to continue working with the College community in his new role alongside Boylan.

“I am so incredibly excited to continue on this journey with everyone on this campus,” Tawalare said. “I cannot express in words my gratitude for every person that has contributed to this adventure, and I am grateful to get to do this with Brendan right next to me. I am so pumped to find out what we can do as a community and as a team. We’re in this together, and I am overjoyed that we get to do this with you all.”

The contested race for class presidents saw two incumbents regain their seats while, for the class of 2019, Sen. Sikander Zakriya ’19 filled the vacancy left by former Class of 2019 President Jonah Yesowitz ’19, who decided not to run for re-election after three years of service. Zakriya has served for three years as a senator for the class of 2019.

Out of 644 of students who voted, Zakriya won by a narrow margin, receiving 335 votes while SA newcomer Zauhirah Tipu ’19 received 309 votes.

Incumbent Kelsey Vita ’20 defeated newcomer Abe Winterscheidt ’20 in a successful third term bid for class of 2020 president. Vita received 575 votes while Winterscheidt received 110 votes.

David DeMarco ’21 secured another term as president of the class of 2021 with 434 votes compared to challenger Sen. Aria Austin ’21 who received 333 votes.

Across all classes, senatorial races were highly competitive. Sen. Alexis Payne ’19 was the only remaining incumbent after Sen. Shannon Dutchie ’19 withdrew from the race due to personal health reasons. Though newcomers Annika Papke ’19 and Will Siegmund ’19 also withdrew from the race, a total of five candidates ran for four senate seats. Jack Bowden ’19, after switching class delegations, received 330 votes while Alec Friedman ’19 received 349 votes, Payne received 448 votes and Jessica Seidenberg ’19 lead her class with 457 votes. Newcomer Ryan Semsel ‘19 received 258 votes and was not elected.

The four incumbents who ran for their seats as senators of the class of 2020 all won. Sen. Abhi Chadha ’20 received 445 votes, Sen. Clare DaBaldo ’20 received 502 votes, Sen. Sarah MacPhee ’20 received 409 votes and Sen. Ellie Thomas ’20 received 514 votes. Ryan Walter ’20, who had previously ran against Chadha during a special election in the fall 2017 semester, received 256 votes.

Out of three incumbents, only Sen. Helen Tariku ’21 and Sen. Kyle Vasquez ’21, with 366 and 387 votes, respectively, secured another term. Senate outsiders Anthony Joseph ’21 and Margaret Lister ’21 won as newcomers with 330 and 318 votes, respectively. Former Sen. Jack Simmons ’21 received 268 votes. Keyyatta Bonds ’21 received 268 votes, Abby Fergus ’21 received 284 votes, Benjamin Hotchner ’21 received 256 votes and Patrick Salsburg ’21 received 164 votes. Ben Wagner ’21 withdrew from the race.