Repping Tribe pride off campus is great honor

GRAPHIC BY JAE CHO / THE FLAT HAT

As I took the Metro out of Washington D.C. last Saturday night, I was exhausted from the March for Our Lives. Suddenly, a lovely woman noticed my College of William and Mary sweatshirt and asked me how I liked it at the College. She pointed to the students gathered around her and told me they were high schoolers from Florida who had traveled to D.C. for the march. Her own daughter was a junior who had already been considering the College in her college search. I was thrilled to get the opportunity to share my wonderful experiences from the College with kids who were obviously passionate, kind, well-spoken and driven. That being said, I was not surprised to hear their inquiries, as the name of the College carries recognition, and often when I wear my Tribe gear outside of Williamsburg, I get asked about it.

I am not someone who enjoys talking to strangers or who seeks social interaction with people that I’m not already familiar with. In that light, it seems that I wouldn’t like it when people ask me about the college I attend. To my surprise, I’ve found the College to be the one thing I am overjoyed to talk about with just about anyone, and I can and do talk for absolutely ages about how much I love it here. Being at the College has been the best experience in the world for me. I am part of a family who cares about me, and I am surrounded by friends who bring out the best in me. The community at the College has given me the confidence to truly be myself. I am also taking exciting, challenging classes that I feel are truly preparing me for a future where I can make a difference and make the world a better place. Those are just a few of the reasons why I am happy to share my experiences at the College. It is the perfect place for me to be right now, and the enthusiasm of students here compelled me to choose it as my home for four years. Sharing my love for the College has the potential to draw someone else here, to a place that can be perfect for them.

While I do not work in public relations for the College and am not a tour guide, I love sharing my college experience. I think it speaks to the wonderful education and community here that average William and Mary students are proud and happy to discuss their college experiences with anyone who is curious, and this passion for my school is not something that I alone possess. Almost everyone I know is beyond thrilled when they get to talk about the College to their friends, family or even strangers. I am so proud to wear green and gold, and I feel fortunate to get to be an ambassador for William and Mary as soon as I step off campus. Representing William and Mary is a gift that I cherish, and I’m honored to continue displaying my passion for the Tribe for the rest of my life.

Email Anna Boustany at aeboustany@email.wm.edu.