Women’s lacrosse: Despite strong first half, Flames bury Tribe, 11-7

McKinley Wade. COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS.

After a tough loss to Richmond on Saturday, William and Mary looked to bounce back against Liberty on Wednesday. However, the Tribe (4-6) was met with a tough 11-7 loss against the Flames (7-3).

The College outplayed the Flames in the first half, outscoring them 4-3. But the Flames lit a fire in the second half and netted eight points to overturn the College 11-7 with an 8-1 run.

Offensively, junior attacker Maddie Torgerson led the Tribe with two goals and an assist, while senior midfielder McKinley Wade also tallied a pair of goals.

Junior attacker Eloise Gagnon and freshman defender Anne Milwicz each contributed with a goal and two assists, while freshman attacker Sophie Kopec got on the scoreboard as well with a single goal.

Neither team could get on the board in the last eight and a half minutes of the game, as the Tribe held off the Flames with some work by sophomore goalkeeper Elsa Rall, who has averaged 16 saves per game these past two games. Nevertheless, the College was unable to break through the Liberty defense and ultimately fell 11-7.

Throughout the game, the College narrowly held the edge in ground balls, 23 to 22, and committed 20 turnovers as opposed to 22 by the Flames. Senior midfielder Cameron MacDonald caused a career high of six turnovers, the most by any Tribe player since 2011. However, the Tribe was outshot in total shots 33-28 and edged out in shots on goal 25-21.

The Tribe will return home to play UC Davis Saturday at Martin Family Stadium at noon.