Lacrosse: College drops eighth straight to Delaware, 14-6

Emma MacLeod. COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS.

William and Mary was looking to bounce back from a loss to Drexel earlier in the week when the College took on Delaware Sunday. The Tribe got off to a slow start on the road, and a lack of offense led to a blowout victory by the Blue Hens. The 14-6 loss was the Tribe’s eighth-straight setback, keeping the College winless in Colonial Athletic Association play.

The College was held scoreless for nearly 14 minutes at the start of the first half, while five different Blue Hens scored seven goals during that time. Attacker Sydney Rausa and midfielder Megan Santoleri each found the twine twice, allowing the Blue Hens to jump out to a commanding lead. With the score already 7-0, the Tribe finally got on the scoreboard nearly halfway through the opening 30 minutes of the game.

Senior attacker Abby Corkum scored off an assist from her classmate, midfielder Emma MacLeod. After Rausa completed her hat trick just 30 seconds later, the College scored again to cut the deficit to 8-2. This time, senior attacker Alexandria Specht buried the shot for the College off an assist from senior midfielder Danielle Palmucci.

However, the Blue Hens extended their lead to eight goals before the half, 10-2. The Tribe rebounded to score the first goal of the second half, but then conceded four consecutive goals to go down 14-3. While the College scored the last three goals of the game, it was still routed by the Blue Hens, 14-6.

The Blue Hens were led by five assists by midfielder Mia DeRuggiero and five goals by Rausa. Santoleri also finished with a hat trick. The Tribe were led by Corkum’s two goals and one assist.

Next weekend, the Tribe will wrap up the 2018 season with its third-straight road matchup. The College will take on Elon Saturday, looking to end the season with a victory and avoid a winless season in conference play. The College has been eliminated from contention for the CAA tournament, since the tournament only includes the top four teams in the conference.