Field Hockey: Tribe finishes regular season with overtime victory

The Tribe finished the regular season with a winning record and locked up the two-seed in the CAA tournament. JAMIE HOLT / The Flat Hat.

Following a close defeat Friday night, William and Mary traveled to Harrisonburg to face off against Colonial Athletic Association foe James Madison. This time, the Tribe (9-7, 5-1 CAA) came out on top with a 5-4 overtime victory over the Dukes (6-11, 2-4 CAA).

Despite being outshot 10-4 in the first half, the Tribe found a place on the scoreboard first. In the 16th minute junior forward Woodard Hooper powered through some congestion in front of the Dukes’ goal and propelled a shot into the back of the cage, pushing the Tribe into the lead with her team-leading ninth goal of the year.

Within the next 10 minutes, the Dukes responded with a goal of their own off a penalty corner. Freshman goalkeeper Kimi Jones was able to block the first two shots off the set play, but forward Emily Schutt snuck a shot behind Jones, tying the match 1-1.

Two minutes before the conclusion of the first half, a foul by the Dukes in the scoring area gave the College a penalty stroke attempt. Junior midfielder Cassidy Goodwin stepped up and pushed the Tribe into the lead.

Right before the conclusion of the half the Dukes slid another ball past Jones to knot the game up at 2-2. The two teams entered the half neck-and-neck in a tie.

As the second half progressed the College peppered James Madison goalkeeper Caitlin Nelson, but the Dukes were able to get on the board first and take their first lead of the game.

Shortly after, redshirt senior Estelle Hughes fought through the defense to knot the score at three. It was her ninth goal of the season, tying Hooper for the team lead.

The Dukes took the lead for the last time with 15 minutes remaining before the College tied the game up one last time when freshman midfielder Cara Menges found Hooper at the left post for the last regulation goal.

The match ended in the 75th minute when Hughes once again broke through the defense and drove home the overtime game-winner.

As the regular season comes to an end, the Tribe has solidified its position in post-season play as the second seed. The College will travel to Newark, Delaware Nov. 2 at 6 p.m. The winner of the match will advance to play the winner of No. 1 Delaware and No. 4 James Madison.