Swimming: Teams exit CAA competition with winning record

0
502
COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary swimming travelled to Newark, Delaware for the annual Colonial Athletic Association Pod Meet on Nov. 3-4. Both teams competed against both Delaware and North Carolina-Wilmington, with the women’s team additionally competing against James Madison. The men’s team received two dual-meet records and won three of six events, outscoring the Seahawks 187-154 and the Blue Hens 256-59. With this, the Tribe completed its fourth undefeated conference season in a row at 3-0 in the CAA. The women’s team finished 2-1 in Delaware, scoring victories over the Seahawks 242-5 and the Blue Hens 207.5-138.5, but falling 204-143 to the Dukes.

On the first day, junior Chris Balbo led the College, breaking the dual-meet record in his two events, along with breaking the Delaware pool record in the 400 IM that had stood since 1986, its previous owner being Olympic silver medalist Dave Wharton. In the 200-yard relay, junior Colin Demers and senior Brooks Peterson let the College as they swam 1.31.93 to win the medley. Individually, junior Colin Wright and freshman Jack Doherty excelled in their events. Wright swam 20.49 in the 50 free, falling .03 short of beating his personal record. Doherty swam 49.77 in the 100 fly, beating all of his opponents. In the 200 IM, freshman Steven Thalblum came out on top  with a time of 1:53.49.

For the women, junior Julia Bland swept all three teams in the 400 IM, swimming a 4:29:88. Additionally, Bland beat UNCW in the 200 IM, touching the wall at 2:09:54. Overall Saturday, the Tribe went undefeated against the Seahawks and defeated the Blue Hens in two of three events. Freshman Anna Kenna, junior Lauren Freeman, senior Annie Miller and sophomore Madeline High swam the 200 medley in 1:47.49 to achieve victory over the Seahawks and the Blue Hens in this event.

Picking back up for the men Sunday, Balbo achieved his third record of the weekend after finishing the 500 free in 4:34.61. Senior Carter Kale was also able to break a record, going through the 200 fly with a time of 1:49.82. In three wins over the Blue Hens, Doherty swam the 100 free in 46.25, sophomore Jake Kealy completed the 200 back in 1.50.55 and Peterson swam the 200 breast in 2.08.01.

On the women’s side in a come-from-behind victory, Megan Bull swam the 500 free in 5:02.16, gaining her momentum in the final 100 yards. Victorious over the Blue Hens and the Seahawks, senior Katie Sell swam 52.68 in the 100 free. Freshman Ellie Henry and Senior Maria Oceguera were able to outswim the Dukes in the 200 breast (2:23.49) and the 200 fly (2:05.20) respectively. Bull, sophomore Tara Tiernan, Sell and freshman Inez Olszewski were able to secure a win over the Blue Hens and the Seahawks in the final race of the day, the 400 free relay, with a combined time of 3:30.89.

The College has finished its fall dual meets and will travel to Evanston, Illinois Nov. 16-18 for Northwestern’s TYR Invitational.

Previous articleConfusion Corner: Take a break, you deserve it
Next articleDays before election, Elaine Luria urges students to vote
Gavin Aquin Hernández
Gavin Aquin-Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a Business Analytics and European Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and French cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. Visit www.gavinaquin.com to learn more about him. ~~~~~ En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la analítica de negocios y los estudios europeos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y franceses, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas. Visite a es.gavinaquin.com para aprender más sobre él.