Men’s golf: Tribe places 13th in final fall tournament

0
517
Courtesy image / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary competed in the East Bay Deli Classic in Kiawah Island, South Carolina Nov. 4-6. Concluding its fall season, the College landed in 13th place, tying with Charleston Southern for a total of 899 (+35). Charleston scored a total of 861 (-3) for a first-place finish against the 20 other schools in the competition.

In the first round, the Tribe shot a 301 (+13), bringing it into a tie for 10th place alongside the Buccaneers. Leading the College in scoring, senior David Hicks fired a 68 (-4), his lowest score of the season, which brought him into second place. Not too far behind, sophomore Trevor Hecht and junior Walker Campbell hit a 73 (+1) and 75 (+3), respectively.

Coming into the second round, the College was able to improve its standing, moving up four spots to sixth place by shooting a 292 (+4). Leading the tournament at this phase were the Cougars. Campbell was able to replicate Hicks’ success on the second day, also having hit a 68 (-4), bringing himself into a tie for 6th place. Senior Ben Morris scored the second lowest for the Tribe, shooting a 71 (-1). Campbell and Hicks, by the end of the second round, were able to achieve a record with their 68’s (-4), earning the 17th best single-round score in the College’s history.

In the third and final round, the Tribe lost its standing, firing a 306 (+18) and dropping a whole seven slots to 13th place. Keeping up a consistent performance, Hicks was able to hit a 73 (+1) in the round, bringing up his tally to a 217 (+1) in total, placing in a tie for 8th in the event. Similarly, Campbell was able to finish only a point behind Hicks for a tie for 11th, with a total of 218 (+2), having hit a 75 (+3) in the final round.

Though the East Bay Deli Classic is the final fall event for the 2018-2019 season, the Tribe will return when it travels to the Invitational at Savannah Harbor in Savannah, Georgia Feb. 16 and 17.

Previous articleWomen’s basketball: Tribe drops early lead to fall in season opener, 72-55
Next articleClass of 2021 President David Demarco ’21 discusses concerns over discourse between senators at Nov. 6 meeting
Gavin Aquin Hernández
Gavin Aquin Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a Business Analytics and Hispanic Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and Chicano cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. Visit www.gavinaquin.com to learn more about him. ~~~~~ En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la analítica de negocios y los estudios hispánicos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y chicanos, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas. Visite a es.gavinaquin.com para aprender más sobre él.