Men’s golf: Tribe places 13th in final fall tournament

Courtesy image / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary competed in the East Bay Deli Classic in Kiawah Island, South Carolina Nov. 4-6. Concluding its fall season, the College landed in 13th place, tying with Charleston Southern for a total of 899 (+35). Charleston scored a total of 861 (-3) for a first-place finish against the 20 other schools in the competition.

In the first round, the Tribe shot a 301 (+13), bringing it into a tie for 10th place alongside the Buccaneers. Leading the College in scoring, senior David Hicks fired a 68 (-4), his lowest score of the season, which brought him into second place. Not too far behind, sophomore Trevor Hecht and junior Walker Campbell hit a 73 (+1) and 75 (+3), respectively.

Coming into the second round, the College was able to improve its standing, moving up four spots to sixth place by shooting a 292 (+4). Leading the tournament at this phase were the Cougars. Campbell was able to replicate Hicks’ success on the second day, also having hit a 68 (-4), bringing himself into a tie for 6th place. Senior Ben Morris scored the second lowest for the Tribe, shooting a 71 (-1). Campbell and Hicks, by the end of the second round, were able to achieve a record with their 68’s (-4), earning the 17th best single-round score in the College’s history.

In the third and final round, the Tribe lost its standing, firing a 306 (+18) and dropping a whole seven slots to 13th place. Keeping up a consistent performance, Hicks was able to hit a 73 (+1) in the round, bringing up his tally to a 217 (+1) in total, placing in a tie for 8th in the event. Similarly, Campbell was able to finish only a point behind Hicks for a tie for 11th, with a total of 218 (+2), having hit a 75 (+3) in the final round.

Though the East Bay Deli Classic is the final fall event for the 2018-2019 season, the Tribe will return when it travels to the Invitational at Savannah Harbor in Savannah, Georgia Feb. 16 and 17.