De-stress Roundup: Fall 2018 Finals

This weekend marked the beginning of December, which, for twamps all over campus, means the countdown to finals has begun.

For students who find themselves in dire need of a break, slumped over a pile of textbooks and empty Swemromas cups, here is a definitive list of activities to help relax in between finals — or procrastinate studying for the next one.

Before finals start

De-stress activities start Thursday, Dec. 6, when local businesses are hosting William and Mary Night in Merchants Square. Students who donate three non-perishable food items to the Foodbank of the Virginia Peninsula at the William and Mary Bookstore are eligible for a free T-shirt (available to the first 300 students who show up), and a 20 percent off discount on everything in the bookstore (available to everyone).

There is also a raffle for a $250 textbook scholarship for the Spring 2019 semester, free confections and 20 percent off candy at the Wythe Candy store, free chili and cider from the Trellis and discounts at Mellow Mushroom and Dog Street Pub. Activities start at 6 p.m. and continue until 9 p.m.

Friday, Dec. 7, AMP is putting on a last day of classes Glocade from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. in Sadler’s Chesapeake rooms. The glocade will feature foosball, ping-pong, mini golf and a glow paint station.

Finally, at the same time as AMP’s Glocade, InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is hosting its annual Pancake House in Sadler’s Center Court from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Students can go and get free pancakes with a variety of toppings, with a “Bacon Hour” that starts at midnight. Pancake options include gluten free, plain, and chocolate chip.

The first reading weekend

While not an officially-finals-related activity, anyone in need of a laugh while studying can stop by the Wesley Campus Ministry Saturday, Dec. 8, at 7 p.m. for the Dad Jeans Holiday Show. The comedy group is also collecting food and monetary donations for the Wesley Foundation at the door, which will go to Williamsburg’s food pantry and the Hampton Roads Refugee Relief Center.

Sunday, Dec. 9, Williamsburg will be hosting the last 2nd Sundays Art and Music Festival of the year. The festival features live music and dance performances, as well as local artists and craftsmen selling their products, making this the ideal study break for anyone who still needs to do last-minute holiday shopping.

During finals week(s)

Starting Dec. 8 and continuing into the first week of finals, Earl Gregg Swem Library will be hosting a table for Yule Log dove decorating. Students can help make and decorate the paper doves that hang outside the Wren Building during the Yule Log ceremony. The event will conclude Dec. 14.

Swem will also host several free-food-and-drink events over the course of the first week of finals. Tuesday, Dec. 11 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and again at 4 p.m., there will be a Relax, Color and Snack event with free food. Wednesday, Dec. 12 from 7-9 p.m., William & Mary Libraries will be providing free hot cocoa. Thursday, Dec. 13, the Office of First Year Experience will be hosting the Romaine Calm event from 12-2 p.m., providing veggies and other healthy snacks.

As always, Swem will also have a table at the main entrance to the library for the duration of finals with coloring sheets, Lego blocks, and free study supplies like highlighters and pens.

Finally, Saturday, Dec. 15, the College’s annual Yule Log event will begin at 5:30 p.m. in the Wren courtyard, with free cider and cookies available for students after the ceremony ends.

Where are the dogs (and bunnies)?

This year, in addition to the usual therapy dogs, Swem will host therapy rabbits. The rabbits will only be present for one day, Sunday, Dec. 9, and only between 11a.m. and 1 p.m.

However, the dogs will be available Sunday, Dec. 9, Monday, Dec. 10, Wednesday, Dec. 12, Friday, Dec. 14, Monday, Dec. 17 and Wednesday, Dec. 19, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and again from 2-4 p.m.

Finally, Wednesay, Dec. 12, from 6-7 p.m., Wesley Campus Ministries will be having its annual Paws for Stress Event, hosting dogs and giving out free cookies to students.