Letter to the Editor: The Democratic Party Suffers From a Crisis of Identity

COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

Here is the big problem for Democrats:

The Republicans are correct when they say that we have not had a new idea for the past 50 years. They are also right when they say that we have had no real national platform/agenda that we stand for.

I’m not the smartest guy in the world, but at least I have a platform/agenda that I stand for.

I want the federal government to do more and spend more to help our citizens who are poor, near-poor, lower-middle-class, and middle-class who are struggling to survive and to pay their bills.

I want the national Democratic Party to be the way that it was in the 1960s when we cared more about all of these people and fought harder to make life better for all of them.
The problem with the national Democrats is that they have offered no way to pay for anything that would help to make life better for us. So, we are stuck, and have been spinning our wheels for the past 50 years doing virtually nothing to help anyone.

It’s no wonder why people are sick and tired of us. We haven’t offered anything new or different. I’m a Democrat, and I am also sick and tired of us.

The only way to get the revenue to actually do something big to help Americans is something that the national Democrats seem to lack the courage and bravery to advocate for. So I will.

Donald Trump proposed it in 1999. Look it up. The only way to get the revenue to fund my platform/agenda is to pass a National Wealth Tax.

If you want to play “Robin Hood” (as I do) you have to tax WEALTH because that’s where the big bucks are.
So, I advocate for the passage of a National Wealth Tax of 10% on all individuals with a net-wealth and net-worth of $10 million and higher. This will affect less than 1% of our population.

If we want to have a Canadian-style national health insurance program which will cover and help 99% of all Americans, this is the only way to come up with the money to pay for it.