Swimming: Tribe claims victory over wildcats

1
632
COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary traveled to Davidson, North Carolina, Saturday, Jan. 19 to compete against Davidson in what was its last road meet of the regular season. The women decisively defeated the Wildcats 181-81, winning 11 of the top 14 events, while the men defeated the Wildcats 187-83, gaining 21 of the 28 top-two finishes, including 13 of 14 event wins.

Setting the stage for the Tribe’s success, freshman Anna Kenna, freshman Ellie Henry, senior Katie Sell and senior Annie Miller excelled in the 200 medley relay with a 1:45.78. Also contributing to the College’s success was an impressive 400 free relay performance by Sell, sophomore Megan Bull, sophomore Tara Tiernan and senior Maria Oceguera, who were able to finish with a 3:32.00.

Other notable performances on the women’s side included Henry sweeping the 100 back in 58.33 and the 200 back with a time of 2:05.85, along with Oceguera winning the 100 fly with 56.74 and the 200 free with 1:54.43.

Underclassmen had a strong showing at this meet, with Bull winning the 1,000 free with a time of 10:23.40, along with Tiernan claiming her victory with a respectable 5:06.49. Sophomore Diana Tramontano won her first collegiate event when she swam a 1:06.96 during the 100 breast. Freshmen Missy Cundiff and Inez Olszewski got first place in the 50 free with 23.91 seconds and the 100 free with 54.96, respectively.

Not to be outdone by anyone, junior Chris Balbo was able to complete the 1,000 free in 9:24.94, shattering Davidson’s pool record. Balbo then subsequently tied with senior Brooks Peterson for the win in the 200 breast, finishing in 2:08.95. Balbo completed his run with a 4:00.35 in the 400 individual medley.

Coming in after Balbo, Peterson recorded an additional win in the 100 breast, finishing with a 58.26. Junior Ian Thompson was also able to take two races, swimming 51.36 and 46.42 in the 100 back and 100 free. Along with junior Jack Doherty, junior Colin Wright and junior Eric Grimes, Thomson brought the 400 free relay into the hands of the College, taking it with 3:05.59.

Notable mentions on the men’s side include Doherty’s 100 fly victory with 50:49 seconds and Wright’s 200 free with 1:40.21, which broke the Tribe’s dual-meet record. Grimes won his 50 free event individually with a 21.37, but also anchored a 200 medley relay with Doherty, junior Colin Demiers and junior Ian Bidwell, clearing the course in 1:32.48. Freshman Steven Thalblum and junior Lee Bradley rounded out the Tribe’s wins with a 1:51.58 on the 200 fly and a 2:53.06 in the 200 back.

The Tribe will finish its regular season Jan. 26, when it hosts Virginia Military Institute at noon in the Student Recreation Center.

Previous articleTribe basketball: What you missed over break
Next articleMen’s basketball: Tribe falter in close game against Elon, 76-71
Gavin Aquin Hernández
Gavin Aquin Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a Business Analytics and Hispanic Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and Chicano cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. Visit www.gavinaquin.com to learn more about him. ~~~~~ En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la analítica de negocios y los estudios hispánicos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y chicanos, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas. Visite a es.gavinaquin.com para aprender más sobre él.