Tennis extends losing streak to six games

Jamie Holt / The Flat Hat

William and Mary (0-6) left University Park, Pennsylvania still looking for its first victory of the season after falling to Penn State (5-3) by a score of 4-2.

The Tribe surrendered the first two points in doubles matches, at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles spots, by identical scores of 6-2. The heavyweight bout of the two occurred at No. 1, in which the Nittany Lions’ fourth-ranked duo took down the Tribe’s 45th-ranked pair by capturing the last three games to achieve the 6-2 mark.

The match was not without bright spots for the Tribe, with freshman Oren Vasser notching his eighth victory of the season 6-2, 6-3 over Penn State upperclassman Christos Antonopoulo at the No. 4 spot. Sophomore Sebastian Quiros also brought home a singles victory at No. 3, prevailing 7-5 in a third set tiebreaker to down the Nittany Lions’ Gabriel Nemeth, despite being shut out in the second set.

Penn state then captured the No. 1 singles clash, with French native Constant De La Bassetiere defeating junior Brenden Volk 6-2, 7-5. The Lions’ Ben Lieb then made the win official by taking down freshman Daniel Pellerito at No. 5 in straight sets.

The Tribe will attempt to secure their first win of the 2019 campaign Saturday at 4 p.m. in Lynchburg when it takes on Liberty.