Women’s Lacrosse: Tribe narrowly defeated by Chanticleers

COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary traveled to Conway, S.C. Mar. 24 to face Coastal Carolina. The College entered this game with a winning record of 5-3, while the Chanticleers held a record of 4-2. Seeking to retain its three-game win streak, this game was crucial for keeping the Tribe’s momentum alive. At home, the women were 1-2, while away they had an impressive 4-1 record.

Just a minute into the game, the Chanticleers took the lead with a goal scored by redshirt-senior midfielder Haley Kyger. In goal at the time for the Tribe was junior Elsa Rall. However, the College quickly turned the momentum back around and were able to score just five minutes later — equalizing the score to 1-1 with a goal by freshman midfielder Lauren Russell.

A few minutes later, there was a foul called on Tribe defender Beth Kuyk, and the Chanticleers got a free position attempt. It was then that Kyger scored her second goal of the game — this time assisted by redshirt sophomore Megan Busch — putting the Chanticleers ahead 2-1. The Tribe was granted a free position after a foul on Chanticleers redshirt sophomore defender Anya McSorley, but William & Mary freshman midfielder Grace Ahonen’s shot was saved by Chanticleer senior goalie Harley Barrett.

Coastal Carolina got back the ball and were able to score 18 minutes in with a goal by senior attacker Haley Alexander. Thirty seconds later, Alexander scored again with an assist by senior attacker Madeline Bromley — this being Alexander’s twentieth goal of the season and advancing the Chanticleers to a 4-1 lead over the College. Following the goal, Tribe head coach Hillary Fratzke called an immediate timeout.

Under a minute after play resumed, Chanticleers redshirt junior midfielder Megan Kilpatrick had a foul called on her, giving the Tribe its third free position attempt of the game. Junior midfielder Annaliese Lower was able to score on this attempt, inching the Tribe closer to Coastal with the score now at 4-2. Unfortunately for the Tribe, the Chanticleers answered with a goal by junior attack Samantha Courtemanche three minutes later, once again placing the Chanticleers at a three-goal lead over the Tribe at 5-2.

At 8:15, Alexander scored her third goal of the game, assisted by Courtemanche. A couple minutes later, Coastal sophomore midfielder Jordan Harrell put the Chanticleers ahead of the Tribe 7-2, with a goal assisted by Bromley. The College was granted another free position attempt after Kilpatrick fouled again. On this attempt, the Tribe’s senior atack Maddie Torgerson scored a free position goal, now putting the score at 7-3. With just over a minute left in the first half, Courtemanche got her first goal of the game, assisted by Alexander, and the Tribe fell behind once again 8-3. As the first half drew to a close, Kuyk fouled and the Chanticleers were granted a free position attempt, where Kyger was able to sneak in one more goal with thirteen seconds left, placing the Chanticleers at a comfortable 9-3 as they entered halftime.

As the Tribe attempted to turn the tide of the game in the second half, they were able to gain a few more free position attempts. At 27 minutes, Russell scored a free position goal to put the score at 9-4. Less than a minute later, the Tribe’s Anne McElgunn drew a foul that resulted in a Chanticleerfree position attempt, and subsequent goal, by freshman attack Lauren Cremen. With the Chanticleers now in double-digits with a 10-4 lead over the College, the Tribe needed to answer.

At 24:51, the Tribe scored, bringing to total to 10-5 with a goal by freshman midfielder Belle Matire, assisted by Torgerson. Matire scored again six minutes later on a free position attempt, and at 18:27 the College began closing the gap with 6 goals to Coastal’s 10. Matire and Torgerson teamed up yet again when Torgerson scored with an assist by Matire while a man up, now putting the Tribe at 10-7 and causing the Chanticleers to call a timeout.

However, the timeout failed to revert the game back into Coastal Carolina’s favor, and Torgerson continued her hot streak with her third and fourth goals of the game just a few minutes later, advancing the Tribe to within one point of the Chanticleer’s at 10-9 with just fifteen minutes left in the game.

The previously fast-paced, goal-heavy game slowed down after this powerful showing from the College. Harrell scored her eighth goal of the season at 12:14, and the score became 11-9 with the Tribe two points behind. With five minutes left in the game, the freshman midfielder continued her great game by scoring another goal, this time with an assist by senior midfielder Olivia Harpel, putting the Tribe into double digits at 10 to Coastal’s 11.

With a minute left in the game, the College equalized the score at 11-11 with a critical goal from Ahonen, pushing the game into overtime.

In overtime, Chanticleer attack Lyla Robinson sealed the game by scoring with a minute left. The final score was 12-11, with the Chanticleers narrowly defeating the Tribe. The Tribe now has a 5-4 record and will face Hofstra away April 5th.