Baseball: Tribe narrowly defeats Colonials, 2-1

Jamie Holt / The Flat Hat

William and Mary hosted George Washington Wednesday, April 17, at Plumeri Park. The Tribe defeated the Colonials (21-16) by a score of 2-1. 

The Tribe (22-14) opened up the scoring on a single in the second inning by senior designated hitter Jason Waldman. That was the offense for most of the game, as the Tribe’s offense was stifled by Colonials pitcher Jaret Edwards, who held the Tribe to four hits over the first eight innings. 

The Tribe’s pitching kept pace with Edwards, however, holding the Colonials to only one run. Senior pitcher Nick Butts started the game and pitched three innings before sophomore pitcher Justin Pearson came in. In the fifth, the Colonials tied the game at 1 on an RBI groundout by designated hitter Derek Ripp. Pearson limited the damage however, forcing a flyout to end the inning with a runner on third base. 

The Tribe got its next hit in the eighth, as junior centerfielder Brandon Raquet singled to move redshirt senior shortstop Kyle Wrighte into scoring position. However, a flyout ended the inning with the game tied 1-1. 

After redshirt junior pitcher Chris Farrell pitched a scoreless frame in top of the ninth, the Tribe came to the plate to face Colonials pitcher Pat Knight. Walks by senior third baseman Zach Pearson and junior first baseman Matthew Trehub prompted the Colonials to change pitchers once again. 

Colonials pitcher Keagan McGinnis’ wild pitch advanced the runners before an intentional walk to Waldman loaded the bases for sophomore second baseman Matt McDermott. McDermott then ended the game by putting the ball in play, leading to a throwing error by Colonials shortstop Nate Fassnacht which allowed Pearson to score the winning run. 

Farrell took home the win for the Tribe, boosting his record to 3-1, and Knight took the loss for the Colonials, dropping his record to 3-3. The Tribe will host Elon next for a weekend series beginning Friday, April 19, while the Colonials travel to Davidson for a series beginning Saturday, April 20.