George Mason dean Peggy Agouris named as new College provost

COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

Peggy Agouris, the current dean of the College of Science at George Mason University, has been named the College of William and Mary’s new provost. College President Katherine Rowe made this decision, pending the approval of the Board of Visitors, who will be meeting this coming week.  

“Dr. Agouris brings an enormous breadth of experience as a teacher, scholar, researcher and administrator,” Rowe said. “She will be an extraordinary provost, and we are thrilled to welcome her to campus.” 

Agouris is set to take the helm as the College’s chief academic officer July 1, following current provost Michael Halleran’s planned abdication of the position. The provost oversees the arts and sciences, the Raymond A. Mason School of Business, the Law School and the School of Marine Science. In addition, the provost is responsible for all academic and research endeavors, including budgeting, faculty development and resource allocation. The provost will also play a leading role come August in the College’s strategic planning efforts. 

“Finding a worthy successor to Provost Halleran was a daunting assignment,” Rowe said. “In Dr. Agouris, we have someone who will value and advance the university’s core academic mission while also partnering with this community to navigate a rapidly changing landscape in higher education. She is an ideal choice.” 

In her current position at George Mason, which she has held since 2013, Agouris oversees an annual budget of more than $80 million, administers approximately 4,000 students and leads over 700 faculty and staff members.  

It is an exciting time to join William and Mary and I very much look forward to working with President Rowe and so many talented colleagues on campus to generate the community’s roadmap for William and Mary’s exceptional and distinctive educational experience,” Agouris said. “My leadership approach has always been driven by vision and method and is firmly based on transparency and accountability.” 

Vice Provost Ann Marie Stock chaired the search committee that chose Agouris. She said that Agouris has shown incredible initiative and ability to collaborate in order to make institutional change. 

“We are confident that she will be an extraordinary partner for our president, board and senior leadership in guiding our university into the future,” Stock said. 

Agouris also increased the diversity of her faculty at George Mason by 40 percent and hired a leadership team comprised of 60 percent women and underrepresented groups.  

“It is humbling to be selected to now lead the academic side of such an extraordinary institution, committed as it is to teaching and research equally, and whose talented faculty are matched only by the strength of their students,” Agouris said. “My family and I are excited to join the William and Mary community.” 

Halleran said that he feels confident about passing the baton to Agouris and believes she will be very successful in taking over this role. 

“Peggy Agouris will be an excellent provost for William and Mary,” Halleran said.

“Peggy Agouris will be an excellent provost for William and Mary,” Halleran said. “Her rich experience, energy and collaborative instincts will serve her well in this role, and I am fully confident that she will be highly successful in helping to advance William and Mary’s distinctive educational excellence.”