Women’s Soccer: Tribe unable to retain early lead; falls to Longwood 2-1

0
318
COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary hosted Longwood Aug. 17 at Martin Family Stadium in its only scrimmage. Losing to the Lancers, the Tribe made a valiant effort but ultimately fell 2-1.

Taking an early lead in the 40th minute, freshman forward Kayleigh Shackford unsuccessfully directed a cross on target before being saved by Lancers goalie Mary Kate Levush. However, the rebound found junior midfielder Colleen Norton, who was able to send the ball straight into the net.

Trailing 1-0, the Lancers rebounded by making two goals four minutes apart to hold onto the victory. In the 47th minute, Lancers forward Kennedy Culbreath was able to get behind the Tribe’s defense and take a shot from the left of the 18-yard box into the lower right corner of the net. Four minutes later, Lancers forward Emilie Kupsov assisted Lancers forward Emily Mothersbaugh to score one last time to ensure victory for the Lancers.

If the match had counted, Norton’s would have earned her second career goal and fifth career point, along with Shackford’s first career point.

The Tribe will open its regular season Aug. 22 when it hosts George Washington at Martin Family Stadium at 7 p.m. The opening weekend will continue as the College starts a three-game road swing at South Carolina Aug. 25.

Previous articleVolleyball: VCU knocks off Tribe 3-1 in exhibition
Next articleCommentary: Tribe cross country deserves more recognition for success
Gavin Aquin-Hernández
Gavin Aquin-Hernández ’22 is a Sports Editor for The Flat Hat newspaper and a proud member of the Editorial Board. He has contributed to the paper since 2018. Gavin originally hails from Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Angeles, California. He is a Business Analytics and European Studies double-major, with a particular interest in Spanish and French cultural issues and the history of the Jewish Diaspora. Gavin hopes to eventually become a lawyer when he graduates. When he isn't watching Tribe Athletics, Gavin follows the Vegas Golden Knights, the LA Dodgers, Tottenham Hotspur and C.D. Guadalajara. Visit www.gavinaquin.com to learn more about him. ~~~~~ En castellano: Gavin Aquin Hernández '22 es un editor de deportes para el periódico « The Flat Hat » y es miembro de la Junta Editorial. Él ha sido miembro del periódico desde 2018. Originalmente, él viene de Las Vegas, Nevada y de Los Ángeles, California. Él está estudiando la analítica de negocios y los estudios europeos. En particular, le interesan los temas culturales españoles y franceses, y también le interesa la historia de la diáspora judía. Gavin desea trabajar como abogado después de graduarse. Además de seguir Tribe Athletics, Gavin sigue a los Golden Knights, los Doyers, Tottenham Hotspur y las Chivas. Visite a es.gavinaquin.com para aprender más sobre él.