Men’s Golf: Tribe finishes 10th at Firestone with an 886 (+22)

COURTESY PHOTO / THE FLAT HAT

William and Mary travelled to Akron, Ohio, Sept. 30Oct. 1 to compete in the Firestone Invitational. Ultimately, the Tribe finished the event in 10th place having shot a total of 886 (+22). South CarolinaAiken took the tournament with an 857 (-7), closely followed by Santa Clara and Bowling Green, which tied for second with 858 (-6).  

At the end of the first day, the College had finished in 11th place, with a total of 587 (+21) after the first 36 holes, totaling 300 (+12) in the first round and 297 (+9) in the second.  

Senior Ben Morris continued his strong start of the season, carding 147 (+3) after the two rounds. He shot a 71 (-1) in the second round, recording the only under-par round from the College that day. Likewise, junior Otto Voettiner was able to lead the Tribe in the first round, carding 73 (+1) and matching that success in the second with a score of 74 (+2). Ultimately, the pair tied the first day in 25th place with 147 (+3).  

Entering the final round of the tournament on the second day, the College was able to shoot its best round with a 289 (+1). Freshman Jimmy Taylor led the Tribe in the event, having ultimately finished the 54-hole tournament with a 220 (+4). On the second day, he shot his best round with a 70 (-2), with this being the fourth time this season that Taylor shot at or below par. Closest in score to Taylor, Morris, Voettiner and junior Trevor Hecht tied for the Tribe in 34th place. Hecht had the best round for the team this day, with a 69 (-3) score.  

Following a short break, the College will travel to Beallsville, Maryland in order to compete in the Georgetown Intercollegiate Monday, Oct. 14, and Tuesday, Oct. 15. Georgetown will host the Tribe at the Members Club at Four Streams.