Tribe tennis extends winning streak to five matches

The men’s tennis team continued its winning streak Tuesday when the Tribe earned its fifth straight victory after defeating another nationally-ranked team. Ranked 65th in the country, Brown University has yet to record a victory against the College with the final score of the match at 4-3.

p. Junior Alex Cojanu and freshman Keziel Juneau defeated the 15th-ranked doubles team in the country with a decisive 8-4 score. Cojanu and Juneau have now won three straight doubles play sets, having already contributed to the Tribe’s weekend victories over Longwood University and Norfolk State University.

p. Both Longwood and Norfolk State were shut out by the Tribe, sweeping every one of both the doubles and singles play sets. Unfortunately, Brown took the early lead Tuesday, earning the team doubles point after the remaining two College doubles teams had been dispatched without a win.

p. Senior Colin O’Brien tied up the score, easily defeating his opponent 6-3, 6-3 for his fifth straight singles win and 13th singles win for the season thus far. Sophomore Marwan Ramadan kept the Tribe’s momentum going with a 7-6(5), 7-5 victory in his singles sets. He was followed soon after by another College singles victory by Juneau, who won both of his sets via tiebreakers, 7-6(5), 7-6(0). This was Juneau’s 13th singles victory of the season, tying him with O’Brien and fellow freshman Richard Wardell for the current team lead in this statistic.

p. With only one more win in the singles play needed to clinch Tribe victory, sophomore Alex Zuck made sure to keep it away from Brown, fighting through three sets to take the overall victory for himself and his team with a 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 final score. This improved Zuck’s singles play winning streak to a career-record sixth straight win. Wardell struggled through three sets himself but was unable to come out with a win. Cojanu, ranked 49th in the nation, suffered an upset at the hands of his Brown opponent, ranked 82nd nationally, after putting up a fight through three full sets of singles play.

p. The College will host two home games Sunday at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center for some high-energy matches. The Tribe will go up against Boise State University, ranked 16th nationally., at 10:30 a.m. George Mason University, a CAA rival, will face the College at 4 p.m.