Women attack Longwood, go to 1-1

In their home opener yesterday, women’s lacrosse smashed through in-state rival Longwood University 24-6. However, the Tribe opened the season battling both a heavy downpour and a powerhouse Duke University squad over the weekend. In the end, it wasn’t only the elements that got the best of the College, as second-ranked Duke rolled over the College for a 15-3 victory.
The Tribe was in trouble from the start, as Duke charged out the gate with a quick goal. Before the College could catch their breath, the Blue Devils continued their scoring onslaught, leading 5-0 just ten minutes into the game.

p. The College settled down over the rest of the half, attacking Duke despite the rough weather conditions, which led to both teams combining for 28 first-half turnovers. The Tribe mounted scoring chances against the staunch Blue Devil defense as senior Kara Parker and junior Jamie Sellers each managed shots on goal, but nothing went in after Parker’s shots were turned away by the Duke keeper and Sellers’ attempt ricocheted off the crossbar.

p. On the defensive end, the Tribe played the remainder of the half with increasing confidence as freshman goalie Sara Beckstead recorded six saves and senior Kristen Wong forced three turnovers. The Tribe held Duke scoreless for over ten minutes, but the Blue Devils broke through twice more before the half and took a 7-0 advantage into the break.

p. “It would’ve been a very different game had it not been raining,” freshman Katie Rees said. “It was a very competitive game, as Duke is a great team, but the scoreboard did not accurately reflect our performance.”

p. Rees made her presence known in her debut for the College, causing a turnover and picking up three ground balls.

p. The Tribe’s solid late first-half play couldn’t carry over into the second half as Duke needed less than 30 seconds to score and extend their lead to eight after the second stanza opened. The score was 9-0 when Sellers finally put the Tribe on the board. Parker scored with 18 minutes, 36 seconds remaining and senior Emily Vitrano added the Tribe’s third and final goal in the last two minutes of the game.

p. Beckstead recorded a game-high 11 saves for the College and Wong earned a game-high eight ground balls to go with four caused turnovers.

p. The Tribe is scheduled to host the University of Richmond Sunday at 1 p.m. at Albert-Daly Field.