Author Mann a Hunter fellow

The College recently named Thomas E. Mann the 2007 Hunter B. Andrews Fellow in American Politics.

p. Established in 1998 to honor the late state senator and College alumnus, the Hunter B. Andrews Fellowship has allowed the College community the privilege of interacting with distinguished public figures including U.S. Congressman and noted civil rights leader John Lewis, journalist, editor and author Walter Isaacson and Sandy Berger, national security advisor to President Bill Clinton.

p. Among the several activities planned for him, Mann is looking forward to the upcoming public forum, which will be held March 26 and 27 in Tucker 120 at 7:30 p.m.

p. “I will make an initial presentation on ‘Have the 2006 Elections Begun to Mend the Broken Branch?’ This will include assessing how well the new Democratic majorities in Congress are doing relative to the commitments they made prior to the election,” Mann said.

p. Mann majored in political science as an undergraduate student at the University of Florida. While pursuing his Ph.D. at the University of Michigan, He was granted an American Political Science Association Congressional Fellowship.

p. After the fellowship, Mann served a staff position at the APSA. There he later served as executive director designed and executed a poll for Representative James G. O’Hara, completed and defended his dissertation, collaborated with Ornstein on a Congress Project sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute and served as Director of Governmental Studies at the Brookings Institution, where he today serves as the W. Averell Harriman Chair and Senior Fellow in Governance Studies. The Brookings Institution is one of America’s premier policy think tanks. Mann’s current projects include studies on election reform, redistricting, campaign finance and congressional reform.

p. The political scientist and author embraces both scholarship and public affairs and sees his visit to the College as yet another interesting opportunity.

p. “I hope to make a case [to students] for serious engagement in public life — as citizens, public servants, politicians and public intellectuals,” Mann said.