Gunshots heard near campus

p. Two gunshots were fired but no one was hit outside the Days Inn on Richmond Rd. last night around 11:30 p.m. when a large group of people started fighting after leaving an 18th birthday party in the meeting room of the hotel.

p. Two student eyewitnesses, freshmen Se Won Chung and Chris Robinson, were walking approximately 25 feet from the parking lot when they heard the first gunshot.

p. “I didn’t know what to make of it at first,” Robinson said. “Se Won thought it was a firework. I saw that there was sort of a brawl. My first instinct was just to run away from it.”

p. He said that there were 50 to 60 people in the parking lot.

p. According to a woman who was in the Days Inn at the time and asked not to be named, the people were mostly 18- to 20-year-old boys.

p. “Everything was fine, and then all the sudden there was chaos,” she said, adding that after the Days Inn manager told the boys he was calling the police, they moved down the street and continued to fight. Then the first shot was fired.

p. Robinson said that two to three minutes later he heard the second shot as police were arriving on the scene. He said many people dispersed, and police were stopping people and patting them down.

p. The woman in the Days Inn said the shooter has not been caught and that police are still investigating.

p. Williamsburg Police declined to comment.