1st annual Flat Hat sports awards

p. **All-Tribe**

**Team of the year – Men’s Cross Country**
Following a string of disappointing finishes at the NCAA Championships, the Tribe rose to the occasion last November and captured eighth place — the second-highest finish in College history. Junior Christo Landry led the Tribe, placing 34th and earning his second All-American award. Head Coach Alex Gibby also guided the College to its seventh consecutive CAA title, a runner-up finish at the NCAA Southeast Regional meet and its first IC4A championship in 24 years.

**Coach of the year – Kevin Epley, Women’s Tennis**
Whether you want to applaud him for the abundance of talent he pulls in every year through recruiting, or his skill in getting his players to perform to their potential, Epley’s results cannot be ignored: 20-2 record this spring, CAA tournament championship, doubles national championship for Moulton-Levy and Zoricic this winter and heading into this month’s NCAA tournament, his squad is a legitimate contender for the title.

p. **Men’s first team**

**Male athlete of the year – Adam Payton, Basketball (Senior)**
Payton gets the nod as this year’s Male Athlete of the Year not only for his impressive stat line (13.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 1.7 spg), but for the leadership he brought men’s basketball this season. As one of only two seniors on one of the College’s most traditionally unsuccessful teams, he carried his team through their biggest games, willing them ahead in their first-round CAA tournament game against Georgia State University, before a half-court heave at the buzzer sent them to defeat. Tribe men’s basketball made tremendous strides this season, finishing with a 15-15 record and knocking off competitive teams like Drexel University and George Mason University. Most importantly, he helped bring an excitement (along with the 6th Man Program) to a program that sorely needed improved fan support. The Tribe look poised to make another big step next year, perhaps approaching the upper echelon of the CAA, and if they do, they’ll have Payton to thank for getting the ball rolling.

**Greg Sexton, Baseball (Senior)**
Through this weekend’s series against UNCW, Sexton has a .434 batting average, 9 HR, 50 RBI, 15 doubles and 3 triples. He holds school records for career hits, doubles and total bases, and is on pace to set records in RBIs and games played.

**Keith Bechtol, XC and Track (Senior)**
The anchor for a cross country team that finished in eighth place at the NCAA Championships has had an impressive spring track season as well. Currently ranks third all-time at the College in the 10,000-meter run. Also a Phi Beta Kappa.

**Elijah Brooks, Football (Senior)**
931 rushing yards, 5.1 yards per carry, and 8 touchdowns on the year. Finished his career in sixth place on the College’s all-time rushing yards list despite playing only three seasons for the College.

p. **Men’s second team**
Alex Cojanu, Tennis (Junior)
Christo Landry, XC and Track (Junior)
Andrew Hoxie, Soccer (Sophomore)
Cody Morris, Football (Senior)

p. **Women’s first team**

**Female athlete of the year – Megan Moulton-Levy, Tennis (Senior)**
During a year filled with outstanding performances from many of the Tribe’s female athletes, Moulton-Levy stood head and shoulders above the rest. The captain and leader of a team that has been highly ranked all year long (currently no. 13 in the country), she has excelled in both singles and doubles play. Ranked seventh nationally, she has a record of 28-6 for the year in singles, while playing in the no. 1 singles slot the entire time. She and doubles partner sophomore Katarina Zoricic won the ITA National Indoor Championships this winter, have gone 38-2 on the year and are currently ranked no. 1 in the nation. She is a dynamic, exciting player who uses her exceptional athleticism to track down shot after shot, pressuring her opponents into defeat. In May 2006, she received the national Arthur Ashe Award for Leadership and Sportsmanship, a telling tribute to her work ethic and character. The impact she has left on Tribe tennis and Tribe sports as a whole is incalculable, and in 2006-2007, there was no one better.

**Katie Radloff, Swimming (Freshman)**
Helped lead College swimming to its first-ever CAA championship; named mid-major All-American. Became the first Tribe swimmer since 1983 and second in program history to compete at the NCAA Championships.

**Claire Zimmeck, Soccer (Sophomore)**
Her 14 goals and 4 assists brought her CAA player of the year, Soccer Buzz All-American and VaSID player of the year honors. Earned multiple national player of the week awards after netting three game-winning goals in three straight games.

**Kyra Kaylor, Basketball, Junior**
Her 14.8 ppg and 9.1 rpg helped lead the Tribe to a 19-12 finish and their second-most victories in history. Selected to All-CAA First Team, Richmond Times-Dispatch All-State First Team and VaSID All-State Second Team.

p. **Women’s second team**
Meghan Bishop, XC and Track (Senior)
Gina Cimarelli, Field Hockey (Senior)
Danielle Collins, Soccer (Sophomore)
Katarina Zoricic, Tennis (Sophomore)

p. __Payton and Moulton-Levy photos by Alex Haglund, The Flat Hat. Headshots courtesy William and Mary Sports Information. Epley photo courtesy www.TribeAthletics.com. Men’s cross country photo courtesy Randy Hawthorne.__

Previous articleSwim, bike, run
Next articleThat Guy: Royce McAllister