Fairfax wealthiest county in U.S.

Two populous Northern Virginia counties once again top the U.S. Census list of wealthiest counties in the country. Leading the list this year is Fairfax County, which had a median household income of $100,318 in 2006. Fairfax County was followed by Loudoun County, with a median household income of $99,371.

p. In 2006, 991 students at the College, or about 18 percent, came from Fairfax County and 131 came from Loudoun.

p. Rounding out the top five counties by median household income are Howard County, Md. with a median household income of $94,260, Hunterdon County, N.J. with a median income of $93,297 and Douglas County, Co. with a median income of $92,125.

p. Last year, Loudoun County topped the list, followed by Fairfax, Hunterdon, Howard and Somerset County in New Jersey.

p. Maryland, with a median household income of $65,144, was the wealthiest state in 2006 by median household income according to the census, followed by New Jersey, Connecticut, Hawaii and Massachusetts. Virginia, with a median household income of $56,277, was ranked ninth. The national average household income in 2006 was $48,451.

p. The Census data, part of the American Community Survey, was released Aug. 28.