New outlets emerge, eateries grow

Between the construction of New Town and High Street, the sale of The College Delly and the new Green Leafe, students might find Williamsburg to be a very different experience this year.

p. The College Delly has been sold to Jerry Tsitsidopoulos, who plans to make several updates. “We’re making lots of changes for the William and Mary students,” Tsitsidopoulos said. “We like the kids.”

p. Greek food, such as gyros, pasticcio and homemade spanakopita will be added to the menu. The patio will be enclosed with removable tent flaps so that it can be comfortably used all year.

p. The Delly will also undergo a technology upgrade, with plans to put in wireless internet, an online ordering system and a touch-screen ordering system. Tsitsidopoulos also plans to begin offering delivery of pizza and sub sandwiches.

p. Special events at the Delly include dollar beer night on Mondays from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. and drink specials at ladies’ night on Thursdays.

p. Further up Richmond Road, New Town has added the stores White House | Black Market and Victoria’s Secret, while The Corner Pocket, Panera and Cheeburger Cheeburger remain popular restaurants with College students.

p. California Tortilla attracts many students on Monday nights with its Mystery Prize Burrito Wheel. Purchasing a regular-size burrito earns patrons a spin of the Burrito Wheel. Depending on where the wheel stops, prizes can include anything from a 75- cent discount on the order to free chips and queso, or even a free burrito.

p. One of New Town’s biggest attractions for students is the Green Leafe Gourmet. The new Leafe is owned by Glenn Gormley ’84, MBA ’89, who also owns the Green Leafe Cafe.

p. Gormley has owned the old Leafe for 18 of its 33 years, rising from a busboy while an undergraduate at the College. He expressed excitement at opening a new location in New Town, and at the development of New Town in general.

p. “The lay of the city is not as friendly to students as it could be,” Gormley said. “I know that because I’m still one of you guys. I understand what it’s like to be a college kid.”

p. Gormley hopes that New Town will be a fun place for College students to go, and that the new Leafe will be well-received.
    “It’s the same owner, same William and Mary family,” Gormley said of the new Leafe. “We are one business in this town that does want and like the students. We want this to be as friendly as the original.”

p. The food and prices at the new Leafe are comparable to those found at the old, although there are more bottled beers offered than draft because the new Green Leafe catering service operates from the same building. Other changes include an outdoor seating area and a more modern interior.

p. “The old Leafe is classy,” Kate McEnerney ’08 said. “But the Leafe at New Town is definitely an upgrade. The food is fantastic, and the restaurant has this bright, clean atmosphere. The only bad thing is that there’s no Mug Night.”

p. Madeleine McDougall ’08 agreed.

p. “While its menu is a bit different, it has the same theme of great sandwiches, tasty appetizers and healthy salads,” she said. “There are a few nightly specials that include dishes like fresh scallops or steak. The only thing missing is hoards of William and Mary students, but as soon as the secret’s out, I’m sure they’ll be heading over soon.”

p. Many more changes can also be expected for Williamsburg in the coming year.

p. Prime Outlets will continue its steady growth with the opening of a Burberry outlet and a Disney Store outlet in spring 2008.

p. The new High Street development, located on Richmond Road, is slated to open gradually over the next few years. According to the Roseland Property Company, which manages High Street, it will primarily be a residential property, but will also include upscale retail and an eight-screen Movie Tavern. Opening in summer 2008, Movie Tavern allows audiences to dine-in on traditional American pub fare such as hamburgers, pizza and salads while they watch movies.

p. Derrick Harmon, general manager for New Town Cinema 12 had no comment about the opening of Movie Tavern.

p. Lifelong Williamsburg resident Ashley Pinney ’08 has mixed feelings about the town’s many recent and planned changes. “I’m excited for the new developments because they will make our town more accessible to college students,” Pinney said. “It’s also overwhelming because Williamsburg has always been full of small-town charm. I’m concerned we might lose that unique quality with all the new commercialization.”