SA brings back Steer Clear

__Bill allocates $3,993 to fund program, which will re-start Feb. 8__

p. The Student Assembly passed the Informing Students Act and the Steer Clear Reestablishment Act during Tuesday’s meeting.
    Three pieces of new business were presented and Senate Chairman Matt Beato ’09 also conducted “past and passed legislation updates.”

p. The Informing Students Act, sponsored by Sen. Devan Barber ’08, requires the attendance of SA President Zach Pilchen ’09, Sen. Walter McClean ’09 or Finance Secretary Andrew Blasi ’10 at the women’s studies department Free Speech Panel Jan. 31.
    The panel will be chiefly discussing issues regarding the Feb. 4 Sex Workers’ Art Show.

p. The Steer Clear Reestablishment Act, sponsored by Sen. Sarah Rojas ’10, was passed 18-0-1 and creates a new version of Steer Clear, under which drivers will be paid $8 per hour in order to establish a consistent work force.

p. The act was originally introduced with a cost of $1,842; however, it soon became evident that two drivers should be present in the car at all times, raising the cost to $3,993.

p. Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Mark Constantine directed the College’s Office of Risk Management to assess the program for any possible liabilities, delaying the start.

p. Steer Clear will be available to drive students starting Feb. 8, and on future weekends it will be available every Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

p. In an addition to the agenda, “past and passed legislation updates” were given; Beato acknowledged that an article in the Flat Hat on the SA’s ability to follow up on passed legislation prompted the updates.

p. Of the 12 acts discussed, two have been successfully implemented: the Flu Shot Encouragement Act and the Campus Composting Act II.

p. Three pieces of new business were also presented. First, Eating Disorders Promotion Act, sponsored by Sen. Brittany Fallon ’11, which charges her with creating an informative brochure addressing eating disorders and locations from which to receive help on campus.

p. The second and third, the Funding Interference Act and the Reject HB 118 Act, were both sponsored by McClean.

p. The Funding Interference Act asserts the SA’s legal right to autonomously fund campus programs, while the Reject HB 118 Act urges the state senate to reject a law, which would give the general assembly more oversight regarding state colleges.

p. The SA was prepared to take a veto-override vote on the SIGN Referendum Act; however, Pilchen was not present at the executive cabinet meeting and could not sign or veto the legislation.

p. Pilchen will likely veto legislation that puts a referendum on the next general election.

p. The bill regards President Gene Nichol’s contract renewal before the next SA meeting Feb. 5.