Spring Sports Preview: Women’s Golf

Two tournaments into its spring season the Tribe has already shown marked improvement over the team’s fall performances.
Opening the year at the Cuthbert Cup, senior Erika Oldenkamp led the Tribe to a 10th-place finish behind consecutive rounds of 75. Last weekend the team returned to action as the College hosted the First Market Bank Intercollegiate in Williamsburg. Oldenkamp stayed hot, posting a two-round total of 159 to finish in a tie for 11th while freshman Sarah Whitney placed eighth, leading the Tribe with a score of 156. Whitney’s outing helped propel the College to a sixth-place finish out of 20 teams.

p. With Oldenkamp and fellow seniors Mischa Harvey and Kara Siford preparing for graduation, the underclassmen have begun to establish themselves as capable replacements. Whitney, fellow freshman Katie Murphy and sophomore Morgan Stepanek have all played their way onto Head Coach Jay Albaugh’s travel squad.
While Whitney’s finish at the Intercollegiate showed promise, Stepanek’s potential was on display when she eclipsed the Tribe’s three-round scoring record, a mark that had stood for 26 years, by shooting 220 at the Chip-N Invitational in the fall. Murphy fired a 74, the best score of the final round at the Intercollegiate, to finish in a tie for 17th last weekend.

p. The College has two regular season tournaments remaining before hosting the CAA Championships in April. The Tribe will travel March 31 to Farmville, Va., to compete in the Tina Barrett Invitational. A week later, the College will head to Wallace, N.C., for the University of North Carolina — Wilmington Lady Seahawk Invitational. The CAA championships will be held at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club April 18-20.