City yet to seal deal to bring in Chipotle restaurant

Chipotle Mexican Grill and the city of Williamsburg have yet to finalize a deal that would bring the Denver-based, fast and casual restaurant within a short drive of the College.

According to Williamsburg Economic Development Manager Michele DeWitt, the city has been talking with Chipotle about buying property for over a year.

“Chipotle wants to commit to finding the right location before they jump into things,” she said. “We hoped they would have found it earlier.”

Last fall, Chipotle considered buying property at 1222 Richmond Road, the site of a former Big Apple Bagels franchise. In November, the city’s Architectural Review Board received an application to renovate the building on Richmond Rd. and add wood stile rail doors with red railings, a red patio and a concrete ramp.

Chipotle continued to meet on and off with the property owner of the site, but a deal was never completed and the restaurant chain is now looking to purchase property elsewhere, DeWitt said.

DeWitt and the city have tried to convince Chipotle to remain close to the College and Richmond Road, but said that they are most interested in the stretch of land between Ironbound Road and Monticello Marketplace where there is heavier traffic flow.

Chipotle owns 32 restaurants in Virginia and over 500 restaurants nationwide. Currently, the closest to the College is located in downtown Richmond.